Review by therater13

"One word: amazing"

When I think of Age of empires 2: the age of kings I think of all the fond memories I had trying to figure out how to defeat my next enemy, or how I would rush my opponent online, this is probably one of the best strategy games I have ever played and I really do not think any real time strategy other then star craft will ever beat this game.

Graphics: The character models and units look nice, the forests look nice and there are many different types of terrain, as there are a number of different resolutions you may use to suit your style.

Story: There are five campaigns to play, from the Celts to the Franks, Saracens Mongols or the Teutons, all the campaigns are pretty fun except I did not enjoy the Saracen campaign all that much. They are based on history so the story is really just background, it was told well though.

Audio: It is done fairly well, the unit sounds are pretty good and the voice acting in the campaign instruction is done pretty well also. It could have been a tad better though.

Game play: This is where the Age of Kings really shines, there are 13 different civilizations to chose from, each with there own strengths and weaknesses but they are very well balanced, I do not think they could of possibly done a better job with the balance of this game. Almost every civilization is balanced to perfection, they all have different combinations of units and available research and every different civilization has one unique unit, this further adds to the depth you can have. This game also comes with a very good and fairly easy to use map editor and campaign editor so you can even make your own campaigns.

Multi player: The multi player is very fun in this game, I only played random maps and death matches, there were not to many hackers around so that wasn't a big problem, overall I had a lot of fun online with this game though.

To buy or not to buy? Buy this game, make sure you do not miss out on this no matter what the cost, today this game is fairly cheap so go ahead and pick it up, its still enjoyable. Even if not many people still play this game online the campaigns will always be worth a replay every once in a while.

Overall score: 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/10/08

Game Release: Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (US, 09/30/99)