Review by Blade X

"An age of fun. A great multiplayer game."

Game Play: This game has many types of play. There is the standard game where you build your civilization up too its greatest and conquer others. Those types of games can be fun but after a while they get pretty old. Do not fear though, if you get bored of standard games than there are many scenarios you can either make your self or acquire from others online. Another fun factor is the online aspect. There’s just something about playing with other real people that makes it fun. There are many scenarios always popping up to give your experience a little more diverse. Another benefit to being online is getting all your friends to battle it out for domination. Over all it is a very fun productive game. 10/10

Story: In this game there really isn't much of a story. There is a story type mode in single player but it's all basically the same. Pick a civilization and rule the map and conquer all others. However, there are many rpg scenarios with stories of their own, but even these stories are weak. If your looking for a thick plot look elsewhere. 3/10

Music and Sounds: The over all audio isn’t to bad but it's definitely not perfect. The music is catchy and nice to listen to but after a while of playing it gets really old. There are only a few tunes. The Sound effects though are pretty good. The units all say different things for a command. The buildings all have their own sound when you click on them. Each civilization’s villager says something different when you command them. The sounds don’t get old unlike the music. 7.5/10

Originality: This game is very unique and creative. It has its own feel and doesn’t feel ripped off from another game. If you get this you’ll be experiencing something new and original. It also has its own feel and game play concept. It is an interesting idea and combined with the controls and all the other elements of a game it comes together nicely to make a complete original game. 10/10

Visuals: The graphics in this game are good. I personally liked them. At the least they are tolerable. The units all have a different and unique look. The buildings look different for each civilization. They are also very smooth and colorful. Nice to look at and easy on the eyes. 9/10

Replay ability: This game virtually never gets old. With so many different scenarios, online play, and an addictive single player mode there's enough to keep you busy for months. I have never grown tired of this game for the 8 months I’ve had it. 10/10

Sequels/Prequels: This is much better than the original age of empires in my opinion and is worth getting over that game, but mythology is a very good game except for the online play. I find the zone to be a much more enjoyable experience of online play and AOE has that but AOM does not. I do suggest AOM though due to its new features like god powers and a bigger max of players but don’t over look AOE just yet it still has potential.

Buy or not? I would suggest buying it. There's a lot to do in this game and playing online with your friends is an awesome experience. I normally don’t like computer games but I fell in love with this one right away. I highly recommend it even if you don’t like computer games. But it is your decision. Hopefully based on my review and facts I’ve given you, you can make an easy choice

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/03, Updated 01/05/03