Review by PashPaw

"I do not play many PC gmaes...."

I’ll admit it right here, right now that I have been playing this game since 1999, and I still haven’t dropped Caesar III off my favorites list. When I first played it, I was broken into its predecessor (Caesar II) so much, that I found the game awkward because of the layout of Caesar III was radically different from the other one. Alas, I got used to the game and I fell in love with it. Caesar III is a very easy game to learn, but it is very difficult to play because of the strategy elements. The graphics and sound are wonderful, and the game play is terrifically done. Because of the strategy elements and multiple pre-made game maps, it definitely has replay value. This game is a must-buy for people who love everything about ancient Rome or civilizations or just a casual strategy game player.

One of the more major issues with this game is that it has problems with Windows XP because of installation and the map editor. The installer can’t run from Auto-run, but instead you have to Explore the disc. This minor flaw is due to the fact that when Caesar III was published, there was no “true” NT support. The map editor, on the other hand, doesn’t even load properly because of XP’s themes, causing the program to crash. The map editor is just for kicks and grins, so then it isn’t really necessary, because you can create a new map for the game, or edit a pre-made one. This is also one of my favorite parts of Caesar III because I love to create.

However, if you have a fast computer (and if you’re using XP, you probably do), the game needs some minor tweaking for speed, 100 mHz computers are fine, but I know for sure at 900 mHz, you’re going to need to slow down the game. That is an easy fix though.

Actual performance of the game: 8/10

The graphics are wonderful in my book, but they aren’t detailed, and they’re 2D on the actual game. The intro cinematic is all in 3D, and the same with some messages from the Empire. The 2D graphics at least look like very well done humans and objects, but look “simple”. I am a fan of 2D graphics, so you may want to take my rating of the graphics of 9/10 with some grains of salt being tossed.
The sound ,on the other hand, is definitely not simple, but not high-end video game music. But, the music does get old sadly; a plus is that the music does change if your town does expand per every 500 or a thousand citizens. The sound doesn’t sound as distorted as what it did in Caesar II, but then again, I don’t hear anyone shouting “Plebs are needed!” in this game. Hmm. Sound and music gets a 8/10.

This game is ideal for anyone who has played any Caesar, Pharaoh and Cleopatra, Poseidon and Zeus games, or one who is used to the simulation game building games that loves a little bit of historical fiction also. I may not be a big fan of this sort of thing, but I truly love this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/15/03, Updated 03/15/03