Review by simcopter1

"If you want a game that combines strategy, RPG, and fantasy, look no further!"

Yo! Welcome to my first review. I'm reviewing this game because it is one of my favorite PC games of all time. But enough senseless babble, on to the review!

Graphics 9/10
Very, very nice. They look absolutely fantastic. Every building, creature, tree, mine etc. is very detailed. The field graphics look like a story book come to life. The in battle, the monsters movements are nicely done, and there's no choppiness or lag.

Sound8/10
Not as impressive as the graphics, but also very good. Every event has a different music. For example, in the Necropolis, you get an evil sounding violin tune, while in the Castle, you get an orchestra. The sound effects are great. Every object and action has it's own sound. From the screech of a Roc getting killed to the massive 'BOOM' of the spell Inferno, every one of them is good.

Story 9/10
The story of HoMM3 is the classic good versus evil. It starts when Catharine, daughter of the hero in HoMM2, leaves Enroth to visit her father in Erathia. Upon landing, she discovers that Cloudfire, the city at which she had landed, had been overrun by the Dungeon Overlords. She decides it her duty to avenge what had happened and destroy the wretched Overlords once and for all. I won't go any further. I don't want to spoil it for you.

Gameplay 10/10
HoMM3 gameplay follows in the path of its predecessors. You get a hero, who has various skills and abilities, and move him/her around the map, collecting resources, recruiting soldiers, and killing monsters. You also start with a town. In the town, various buildings can be built. But you can't build them all at once. For example, you have to build a Blacksmith before you build a Barracks, which with a Stable, leads to a Jousting Arena. All this takes planning, as you can build one building per turn. Also, you must decide which building you want to buy. Do you upgrade your Mage Guild or build a Dragon Cave? A Unicorn Glade or Dendroid Arches? You must decide
The battle system is also turn based. Battle occurs when a hero meets a stack of monsters or an enemy hero on the map. In battle, the fastest creature always goes first. The battle continues, with the creatures going in order from fastest to slowest. Anytime during which it is your creatures turn to move, you may cast a spell, which may help your units, impair the enemies, or damage your foes. Battle ends when you one side is completely destroyed.

Replay Value 7/10
This one sort of stings this game. After finishing the campaigns, there really isn't really much point in doing them again. Sure there are plenty of Standard Maps, Multiplayer maps, and a Scenario Editor, but after a while, those get boring to. If you want to get the most out of your game, leave it for a month after beating it. That way you'll enjoy it more.

Buy or Rent? Buy! Buy it now! You won't regret it!

Review Recap
Graphics: 9
Sound: 8
Story: 9
Gameplay: 10
Replay: 7
Final Score: 9 (this is not an average)

Final Words
Thank you for reading my review of this awesome game. I hope you enjoyed it. Until next my next review, Peace Out!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/18/02, Updated 06/18/02