Review by Cybermage12

"Without exaggeration, the best game I have EVER played. (and for only $20!)"

Yes, the title says it all, this game is better than any game I have played to date, that includes Warcraft 3, The Sims, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Tribes 2, Deus Ex, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and other greats. Anyway, on to the review

Gamespot's Review: 9.1/10

Cost: $20 (at EBgames.com, get the Platinum Heroes of Might and Magic set, this is the cheapest I found it, and it also comes with both expansions, HOMM2, and HOMM.)

The Graphics for HOMM3 are very simple, but that does not make them necessarily bad. It is true that probably, you will find many, MANY games with a better graphics set, but the use in this game give it a classical feel. Still, graphics are not very important to this game, so lets move on.

Again, good but not great, the sound is very appropriate for the theme, soft at times, but with a high tempo in fights. The sound is very well orchestrated, though so soft at times that you tend to ignore it completely.

Plotline: 10/10

HOMM3 has an intricate plot carried over from the end of the second. It seems that the humans have managed to survive after numerous raids, but now it is their turn to fight back. Under the leadership of new heroes, Humans begin their struggle to return to power, but it won't be easy with new enemies such as the Undead and the Infernal Demons.

Gameplay (graded as 2 scores): 10/10

This is where the game really shines and what it is best known for. The gameplay is deceptively simple, yet very, very satisfying. It works as such, you start out with one town, and one hero. Towns produce units to protect areas, or follow heroes. Every turn, each hero (with units) can move a certain distance, and each town can build a new structure. Those are the basics, simple, right? It is simple, but when you factor in random encounters, artifacts, magic, experience points, multiple heroes, money, enemies, mines, and water transport, the game still retains its simplicity, but gets difficult at the same time.

Replayability: 10/10

This game has nearly infinity replay, and I constantly find myself booting it up. With two expansion packs, 8 races, online and LAN capabilities, and a map builder, the game provides over 500 hours of replay!

Overall: 9.33/10

Sure I could have put 9/10 at the review menu, but thats no fun!

I hope you get this game, it is a classic, but little known as not many people played the original. This game gets you hooked, and does not let go.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/03, Updated 02/16/03