Review by kain50bc

"Gryphons and Zombies and Hellhounds OH MY!!!"

Might I start this review with something to the abnormal of my other reviews? thanks. WOW! THIS GAME IS PRIME! ok now that I have that out, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was released by New World Computing and 3DO. It has one of the most diverse creature collections I have ever seen. Read on to find out more.

Graphics: 10/10 Excellent if not perfect! Well, alright, almost nothing is perfect but this does a good enough impersonation of perfect. The cut-scenes in the game are very nice, the intro movie especially well done. The battle designs are well drawn and animated (except for one slightly cartoon looking one in the expansions). The towns are simply AMAZING! And the units are well animated also.

Sound: 8/10 Very good but I do have some issues with music in this game (as some on the board may know lol). The creature sounds are all unique and fit each creature well. The adventure screen sounds are pretty cool, you can hear the ocean when you move near to the shore (or while at sea). But now the music... can get repetitive. Yes there is different music for each castle but you do play the game for a fair while. And the battle music is always the same. And that godforsaken rampart music... but I've said enough about that in the board.

Gameplay: 10/10 I am a huge fan of turn-based strategies. I loved Fallout and the previous Heroes of Might and Magic games. But this one takes the cake, it is just... FUN! You begin by choosing (in a scenario game not campaign) a castle type out of 8 (or nine with the expansions) , a hero out of many and your choice of resource bonus, gold bonus or an artifact. In your quest to do whatever it may be, you must gain control of mines to bring in resources, expand your town to better your situation and defeat monsters and enemies to win the game. The in game battles are most enjoyable, a certain degree of strategy is required, usually based on your forces, you can hide behind archers until the enemy reaches you or you can swing your sledgehammer of Behemoths and crush everything. Heroes 3 boasts many artifacts, creatures and many triggers on maps to entertain many times over. The replay value is second to none, unless of course you don't like the game. Multiplayer is even better whether hot seat (my favourite) or on-line.

Overall: 10/10 I know there's an 8 there but sounds don't make a game and there's always mute plus stereo

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/04/05