Review by JonWood007

"Sonic done right"

If you are a long time Sonic fan like me, you will know that the Sonic the Hedgehog series largely is not what it was. While the Genesis games were great, and the Dreamcast ones had their moments, over time, the series lost its way. If you have read my Sonic 06 review, you will know some Sonic games can be flat out terrible. Sonic Generations is the first new Sonic the Hedgehog title I have played since then, and it seems to do everything right! It has greatly restored my faith in the Sonic series.

As far as 360 graphics go, it looks pretty decent. While I cannot say it has amazing graphics, even by 360 standards, it looks decent, and it is great to see some of the Genesis classic levels redone in 3D.

Audio: 10/10

The audio is great. The music mostly consists of remixes of old Sonic themes (which is appropriate since the game remakes a lot of levels from old Sonic games). The sound effects are also excellent.

Controls: 10/10

The controls feel great for a 3D sonic game. While most 3D games seem to have quirky controls and mechanics at times, Sonic Generations feels a lot more polished.

Game Play: 10/10

Sonic Generations was made in celebration of Sonic the Hedgehog's 20th birthday. The plot consists of him celebrating his birthday, when a mysterious force called the "Time Eater" shows up and tore holes in time. Now Sonic needs to revisit places of his past to restore them and reclaim the chaos emeralds. You play as two Sonics: the classic Sonic of the past, and the present Sonic. There are nine stages, one from each major Sonic game released over the past 20 years, and two acts per stage. There also boss fights and rival battles as well. The first act of a zone is played with "classic Sonic", and is 2D side scroller with 3D graphics. The second act is played with "modern Sonic" and is a hybrid of 2D and 3D game play. Overall, it works very well. I cannot emphasize how much of a plus it is for this game that you play as Sonic, and only Sonic. One thing that many modern Sonic games got wrong, going all the way back to the Adventure games on the Dreamcast, is that they made you play as all of Sonic's little companions, which can be very annoying and tedious. Sonic is the star of the show; games work best when you play as him, and only him (although playing as Tails and Knuckles in the Genesis games was also acceptable). Sonic Generations also has a decent hub world, which is not tedious and annoying like that of Sonic 06 was. It is simple. Go to the level and play. That is it.

Overall, I have to say, everything here was done right. Sonic Generations does away with the flaws that made many modern Sonic games tedious and annoying to play, while sticking with the classic game play that works. I would like them to release more games like this.

Fun Factor: 9/10

The game is very fun. As mentioned above, this game emphasizes what is fun to play as far as Sonic games go, while cutting out the more annoying aspects of other modern games. It is also fun to revisit old Genesis levels in 3D. I personally would like to see more Genesis levels made in 3D like this. I was a little more apathetic toward the remakes of the later Sonic levels since I have already seen them in 3D in their original games, but they are still fun to play.

Game length: 8/10

The game is around 4-6 hours long, which is decent for a Sonic game I guess. There are also challenges to beat in all of the levels, which add more replay value to the game.

Difficulty: 10/10

The game starts out easy enough, but then it gets more difficult over time. The later levels are much more difficult than the early ones. This is a good thing, however.

Overall, Sonic Generations is one of the best Sonic games I have played since the Genesis era. It does away with a lot of the problems I had with a lot of modern Sonic games, such as annoying hub worlds and having to play as characters other than Sonic, and replaces them with solid game play. This is how 3D Sonic games are supposed to be played. For once, Sega finally got it right!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/12

Game Release: Sonic Generations (US, 11/03/11)