Review by Darksun45230

"The snarky stepchild of dungeon crawlers and music games."

Sequence is the answer to the question: "If the bespectacled, nerdy dungeon crawler genre and the hot cheer-leading girl of the Dance Dance Revolution rhythm/music genre had a baby what would it play like?"

A question no one answered (or asked save for one) until now.

Our protagonist Ky awakes in a strange hallway with mystic circles and tentacled monsters creeping about, but like any cool dude, he just goes with it. He sure as hell feels too cool to fume to the equally salty girl (coincidentally also a hipster chick) safely chatting to him through a speakerphone. Both being conveniently around the same age, the pair of quirky, sardonic hipsters immediately develop chemistry. Sadly, their tongue-and-cheek act dissolves after only the starting tutorial. Relying more and more on breaking the fourth wall to point out their own dated mechanics as if to say, "We know it's absurd, that's why we're pointing it out first!"

And, boy, are they dated. Having tasked to fight various flavor of monsters for various flavor of keys you'll quickly fall into a routine of mind-numbing repetition. While combat is functions like a rhythm dancer and plays a generic RPG bundled with songs -- vital of the longevity of either genre -- that are just too far, too few, or too unremarkable. The result is all the tedium of real time combat combined with the random, repetitive nature of a Dance Dance Revolution clone.

The root of it's self-satisfied flaws rests dead center on effort to make otherwise simple actions more complicated. Recipes, for example, are the standard role-playing fare -- where you generate weapons, armor, and items -- demand you sacrifice precious experience points in order to guarantee success of said creation. Too little and the creation is always, always doomed to fail. Worse, you'll have to re-gather all said ingredients which means more fighting, more formulaic button pressing, more work. Forgive this obvious statement but games shouldn't feel like extra work. I shouldn't have to mash a random series of keys to do everything because otherwise the pace grinds to a halt.

If asked which of the two fans would enjoy this game -- the hardcore role players or the hardcore rhythm players-- I'd say neither. The dungeons are a loveless and linear, tugging you by the nose through lackluster encounters by the same three monsters over and over. The insistence on game-lengthening key-forging and reliance on repetitive mechanics are nothing short of stone-age. Call it old-school or call it trash, but Sequence is a middling distraction, entirely flawed and forgettable.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/12

Game Release: Sequence (US, 10/20/11)