Review by Deathscythe895

"The FPS with a little Metal Gear thrown in."

Yes, this game is old, but i'm reviewing it anyway because it simply kicks ass!! It's developed by Eidos Interactive, and is only for PC. It's VERY innovative, and strays away from your typical 'Walk around and blow **** up FPS'. Instead, you have to sneak around performing tasks without getting caught. It's quite challenging, and is very addictive and fun.

Graphics
8/10

The graphics are great, but there are jaggies at a lot of parts. It doesn't get your attention away from the game though. I don't know what else to say about them. They are pretty good for the time in which the game was made.

Gameplay
9/10

All I have to say is, WOW!! I love these games where you sneak around and steal stuff! There is a big variety of weapons ranging from swords, to blackjacks, and even a bow with different types of arrows.(IE: Water, and fire arrows.) And to add to the fun, you can hide in the shadows and stuff from your enemies. You also have to watch your noise level, because if you make one wrong move on certain types of flooring, then guards come chasing after you swords and all. Oh, and you can also knock enemies unconscious!! You have to sneak behind them and hit them with a blackjack. And to be sure a guard doesn't see the dead body, you can pick it up and put it in the shadows!! What fun!! The only reason this didn't get a ten was because of the lame guards. Everytime you get caught, they send like 3 or 4 more to where you are. And if you hide in the shadows, the somehow manage to follow you wherever you go whilst looking for you.(Another words, when a guy is clearly looking for you, and you're in a dark place, he still follows you.) But aside from that, gameplay the gameplay is simply awesome.

Controls
9/10

If you are stupid enough to use a keyboard instead of a mouse or joystick, then you shouldn't be complaining about the controls. Anywhoo, I found the controls to be easy and simple. You can customize your controls if you'd like to, but in some desperate situations, a mouse or joystick will get you going all over the screen and what not. But if you have good coordination, you'll do fine.(And I don't have a lot of it.)

Story
7/10

FPS's don't usually have very good stories. This is just mediocre. Basically, you steal stuff for some crazy old guy, and what looks like, his 18 year old wife. Toward the end of the game, though, that gets interesting. I won't spoil it for you, but lets just say the crazy old guy is really not a crazy old guy. :)

Replay Value
10/10

This game has great replay value. And don't all FPS games do? If you didn't steal all of the treasure your first time through, or got caught a lot; then you can try and get all of the treasure, or not get caught at all. So you see, it's worth another play.

Final Score:
43/50 = **9/10**

-This is worth purchasing. It's basically a classic FPS! And if you want a more beefed up version of this game, consider purchasing Theif II: The Metal Age.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/23/02, Updated 03/23/02