Review by SeanKelson

"How boring! Whatever you do, don't waste your money on this game!"

General:
Baldur's Gate is one of the most boring games ever created. An RPG, good graphics, and lots of freedom... Sure, the game may sound good, but believe me, it's NOT! The combats are confusing, and parts either are too slow or too fast. Several stuff flies right by you.

Graphics (10/10)
Despite the fact that this game is horrible, it does boast good graphics. However, I see this as no reason to purchase this game.

Sound (10/10)
The sound is also one of the few things this game has to brag about. The sound effects are great. This is also a good aspect of the game.

Controls (5/10)
The play control is OK. It is pretty easy to learn, but still rather confusing.

Challenge (1/10)
The game is confusing, and too hard. What do they want? Do they want you to cheat to defeat some of the enemies?

Storyline (5/10)
OK, this is another thing the game has to brag about. It does have an OK storyline... However, you have to sit down and think for half an hour until it makes any sense. The storyline is very linear and doesnt contain many plot twists though.

Battle System (2/10)
I know battles are supposed to be chaotic, but does it have to be so hard just to pull out a copy of Magic Missile? The combat system runs very slowly and it is very hard to control everybody in it.

Game Length (7/10)
The game just isn't long enough for the number of CDs it has. I would expect much longer gameplay from so many CDs that Baldur's Gate has. The length of Baldur's Gate is truly disappointing.

Replay Value (1/10)
My question is this: Who would ever want to replay such a boring game? The fact that the game is slow-paced gives Baldur's Gate yet another reason not to even try playing it again.

Gameplay/Fun (2/10)
Do you want fun? Then forget the idea of buying Baldur's Gate. This game is slow paced, and not very fun. If you are one of those people who wants a fun game, stop reading this review and go buy some other game.

Originality (9/10)
I must credit the game on this part. It is very original and truly unique. It's system is unlike any game seen on the computer before.

Overall (3/10):
Heed my warning: Do not even borrow Baldur's Gate from a friend. If you're the graphics and sounds kind of person, I suppose you might be interested, though. My main opinion is that Baldur's Gate is horrible. Don't rent it; Don't buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 07/09/00, Updated 11/18/01