"Baldur's Gate as good as Baldur's Gate II?"

As the topic asks, is this game worth what BG II was to so many others. I would say whole-heartedly yes. The actually point of the story is as deep (If not more so) than BG II is.

The story starts when your Mentor (And Foster Father I might add) Is brutally murdered outside of the safe walls of Candle Keep (Your Home) I Will offer no more incentive to get this game, but will now go on with the review.

Sound - 10: The game has amazing sound Effects (Especially for its time, being slightly outdated, I think it easily compares to any thing of its genre) The sound the people make, the individuality of each voice of the companions you meet along your journey is amazing in my arguably honest opinion.

Gameplay - 9: The Gameplay could have used a little tweaking, but this is the opinion of a major Pessimist and Cynic. In actuality, it is high above average compared to all other CRPG (Much better then Icewind Dale, but that is just an opinion)

Graphics - 9: Everything is realistic. The characters might seem a little insignificant compared to games like Final Fantasy X, but since when has Graphics been that important to an RPG?
Fun Factor - 10: You will have a lot of fun playing this game. I am not saying that, I am telling you that. The sidequests are fun (And often funny) to see and do. You get to make interactive choices that can decide a situation (and sometimes, even a game)

Story - 10: Best of the best in my opinion. The story is a little lacking after the initial event (Being your Mentor's Death) But it quickly picks back up when you reach the Nashkel mines) The way the story wraps itself up is amazing. A masterful book written by some famous author only competes, I assume.

Overall - 10: Not an average, but when I honestly think about this game. It is easily worth every penny that it costs. I look forward to playing the expansion Pack next.

**Comparison with BG II**

It may seem unfair comparing this game with another like Baldur's Gate II, but it still holds its water even when compared to a great game like BG II. Baldur's Gate II: Shadow's of Amn is better in most ways (Sound, Character Development, romances, spells, length, and interface)

You must have noticed one thing missing from that list: Story.

The story to Baldur's Gate II, while amazingly great, I feel it is not as good as the story to Original. I say this because, as I have said, it is amazing the way the story ends itself (Not the cinematic ending itself, but more or less the last 3 to 5 hours of the game.

BG II might be the better game, but if so only barely.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/05/02, Updated 03/05/02