Review by TheHolyBum

"Good, but not the best."

Baldurs Gate intrigued me a lot, escpecially because I had just played and gotten bored of Diablo II. I went and bought it cheep, and found it very interesting. It is a good game, but there are a few things that can be better.

Gamepaly: 7/10. Basically, it's just point and click. A lot like Diablo II, just hack and slash. However, there are more things to do. YOu can have people join your party, and fight with you. You can be evil or good. You can compltete side quests, help people out, or rob people blind, murder them, do anyhthing you want. However, the one bad thing about gameplay is combat. It seems that the makers concentrated too much on accuracy. You and your enemy take hacks at each other, and most of them miss. One of you gets a critical strike, and your enemy falls dead. I didn't find that fun at all, and I think that these ''Advanced Dungeons and Dragons'' games need to be ''advanced'' some more.

Graphics: 8/10. The graphics are great. Not the best, but really good. I love the way that sometimes when enemies die, they exploded into a billion bits, sending flesh and blood flying everywhere. However, even that can be better. The graphics can be worked on and advanced.

Sound: 10/10. The sound is great. I love the way your party members exchange coments while fighting or walking, and the different things that they say when someone else dies or when they die, or when an enemy dies. The sound is excellent.

Muisc: 6/10. Again, here's where things need to worked on. The music isn't very well orchestrated, and could be a lot better. Also, the sounds many times mask out the music. THe music in a game needs to be good so that it sets the mood for the game.

Story: 10/10. Great storyline. Wonderful. Very interesting plot, that makes you want to keep playing to find out what is going to happen next.

All said, Baldurs Gate is not a bad game. However, there are elemnets which could be worked on. I do recomend it for anyone who likes RPG's. Even though Baldur's Gate II is already out, this would be a good game to buy if you want to see how these games work. You will get bored of it after a while, just like all these hack and slash games. However, while you play it is, it is fun. The one problem though, is that you have to swap CD's a lot, since there are three discs. This can ruin your CDs. My CD's are now rendered unplayable.

Overall: 7/10.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/27/02, Updated 12/27/02