Review by Xcist

"The comeback of D&D."

The comeback of D&D.

Graphics - 9/10:
The graphics for this game are arguably awesome. It is mainly a simple isometric view of 2D characters. The character graphics aren't bad at all, for they are quite easy to tell apart, and equipment on them affect the way they look in the game too, so that is quite good. The animation for this game is probably one of its better graphical aspects. They have done a very nice job in rendering and showing the magical spells that Mages or Clerics/Druids use. A lot of detail is put into it, and can really slowdown computers that cannot take it. They are typical for the time they were made, and can not really be compared to what we have today.

Music and Sound - 7/10:
I wouldn't really say that there was much music in this game, but where there were, it shone brightly enough. Though not top-notch, it was decent enough. Battle music created a mood and bars had somewhat of a cool tune. Other than that, there was not really any music, but mainly ambient sounds. The sounds for this game were quite good. The voice acting was top-quality and the magical spell's had fitting sounds. Attacks were the usual, and were nothing too important.

Gameplay - 10/10:
This is where the game really shines. The gameplay of the game brought back the old Dungeons and Dragons (D&D). The very old paper and pencil type gaming that most used to love. Other game companies have tried to bring the D&D style gaming back, but with hardly as much success as Bioware had. All the known terms like THACO, AC, 1D8 is here. Not only that, but all the D&D 2nd Edition rules are implemented, like character classes, and the working of the magic. Everything is done correctly, and superbly. There is nothing else really to say about how good it is.

Story - 10/10:
The storyline for this game was very well done. It was a ''save the world'' one this time, but an actual story. You start as supposedly the son or daughter of Gorion, a powerful mage. As you two go out to meet someone, you are stuck in an ambush, and a mysterious man kills Gorion. You are left without anyone and without any knowledge of why he died. As you progress into the game, you find out things like who killed Gorion, and why he was taking care of you. The story is a very deep one, and kept me hooked throughout the whole game. I will not ruin it for those who haven't played the game yet, but you are not who you thought you were.

Replay Value - 8/10:
The replay value for this game isn't extremely good, though after finishing the game, the story is wonderful and you might wish to play it again. There IS a multiplayer option for this game, but I have never tried it, so I cannot say much about it. This game is filled with MANY quests, and missing some the first time, will make you try to get all the second time.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/03, Updated 02/11/03