Review by Braben

"Cross the Gates, and say goodbye to your social life."

Baldur’s Gate is an “American way rpg”, that’s no plot, absolutely no character development, and the possibility to do basically whatever you want. Some people like this and some other don’t. I hate non linear rpgs, but this one is different, there is one thing that makes this game an absolute masterpiece, the addiction level, and in my humble opinion this is one of the most entertaining pieces of software ever created, even with the tons and tons of flaws it has.

Plot (2/10): The plot is ridiculous, a very big and creepy guy in a very big and creepy armor kills your “guru” with his bunch of baddies and you have to avenge him. That’s it, don’t expect any plot twist or anything similar, I would even say that there isn’t any plot at all, everything consist in sub-plots that had nothing to do with the story (well, almost nothing). Then, the dialogues between characters are atrocious, for me was really hard to read the text because it’s so boring that I fell asleep several times while playing.

Graphics (10/10): Thankfully BG has isometric 2D graphics without any 3D effects, and they are beautiful, very beautiful, the forest, towns, lakes, mountains… everything is splendid. In the other hand the Cg sequences aren’t that good, but there are very few of them.

Music (5/10): The music in BG is something hard to rate because there is very little of it, most of the time you’ll just hear the birds singing, the wind blowing, people talking, etc. The random music you’ll hear is great however, and the voice acting is great, as well as the sound.

Gameplay (7/10): As I said before this is a non linear rpg, so you can go wherever you want, sometimes the game forces you to go to some places but most of the time you are free. And doing this ( I mean going everywhere you want ) is so insanely fun that sometimes you’ll realize that you have been playing all the night. This is one of those games like Civilization II or Heroes III that can keep you playing for hours and hours and you won’t even notice.

Fighting is something very simple, just click on your enemy and wait until you win (or die). The spells are very unimpressive, and most of them are useless, like most of the weapons, items, gems, etc that, one way or another, you’ll keep carrying like a moron during the whole game, not to mention barking like a dog when there’s no space left in your inventory.

To sum up: Things that pissed me off
- the battles
- the useless spells
- the inventory
- the little money left by the enemies
- everything is too expensive
- very little music
- the dialogues
- the characters
- the plot
- the ending ( you kill the last boss, he dies without saying anything, END, yay! )
- ..... almost everything

Then I only liked
- the graphics
- can’t stop playing

But the truth is that at the end, no matter how many flaws this game has or how much you’ll swear playing at it, you’ll love it.

””My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry.””

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/10/03, Updated 07/10/03