Review by Glacius_

"The Best 3-D Shooter Ever!"

At first when I downloaded the demo of quake II, I hoped that it would be worth the download (40 MB) and, let me say it most certainly was. The day after downloading the demo, I bought the full version. This game is excellent! The one player mode is fun by itself, but the real fun lies in the multiplayer mode. While it comes with tons of maps, it is possible to download a endless number and make your own. Anyway, for the graphics, these really depend on what kind of pc you have. The graphics on just a standard pc (withut a 3-d card or accelerator) are pretty good. But with a pc card, they look like somethingout of a movie. Let me comment right now, THIS GAME IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH. The sound is constantly splattering of monsters in the background, but what can be said about the music of pretty much any 3-D shooter? The control, as with most pc games, is fully customizable, which is great because you can bind keys to instantly change maps, or say certain phrases. Again, not much can be said about the orginality of ANY 1st person shooter, but quake II pushes it to the limit. You can crouch and jump, strafe, In some mods (add-ons which are like completely different version of the game which can be downloaded for free online) you have a grappling hook, and you can frrely move in 360 degrees. I would definatly reccomend picking this game up no matter what the price if you have a pc.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99