can't play Myst on Windows 7?

1. I can't get my Myst game to play on my new computer. How do I fix this and is this going to happen with myt other Myst ( Riven, Exile, URU, Revolations and End of Age) games?

User Info: momofstatcat

momofstatcat - 7 years ago

1. Myst v doesn't work on win7. install the game first then download the Patch for vista sp1 works on win7 also. The website is www.gamefront.com/files/11744482/myst-v-vista-sp1-patch Select run when the window appears. Hope this works for you.

User Info: teagleson

teagleson - 4 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. I hope in these several months you found an answer on your own. I'll still answer for any others passing by here.

Indeed getting Myst to run on Windows 7 64-bit can be extremely difficult (less difficult as you work your way down from those stats). All of the Myst games will give you trouble as well. For some reason Myst III seems to be least problematic.

Ultimately the easiest solution for Myst and Riven is "Good Old Games" (gog.com). They sell downloadable versions of games for small prices (Myst and Riven are $6 each, Uru+expansions is $10). This also means no need for swapping disks. Myst will require a compatibility mode, all will require being run as admin, and otherwise it will fairly smooth sailing (only if that much wasn't too difficult).

For more information including the dreadful and painful means of getting the disc versions to work (seriously, even illegal/hacked copies don't work as well as GoodOldGames), view this thread:
    www.mystcommunity.com/board/index.php?showtopic=33395

(It was written for Vista originally but applies to Windows 7 too)

User Info: TeraGamerX

TeraGamerX - 6 years ago 0 2
  2. Actually I am Curently playing Myst On windows xp. First install Myst to the computer. Next Right click Myst and select "Propererties". Then select compatibility and Run it under Windows NT Compatibility mode. Also check the run in 256 bit colors box. Try it and have fun!
    (Note: After playing Myst the Computer will look very crapy so just go to desktop properties and change the color quality back to High)

User Info: Tokyo36

Tokyo36 - 6 years ago 0 0
  3. Myst - Masterpiece Edition
    Issues: Starting the game you here sounds but everything is black.

How to fix:
    Set Compatibility mode for Myst.exe to "Windows 95" and then
    Place the file QuickTime.qts in the Myst Install folder.
    [You can get QuickTime.qts from the install CD. Install and Run UniExtract.
    Right Click the QuickTimeInstaller.exe and extract and locate QuickTime.qts]

User Info: Dave_Darkarts

Dave_Darkarts - 5 years ago 1 0