Review by Rudolph the Red

"Great ,fun, long-lasting game"

This is one of my favorite games for the PC. I have had it for about a year, and I have played it a lot it that time.

Gameplay:10
AoE has awesome gameplay. In between fighting and defending your territory, you have to gather food and build buildings. There are tons of things to do, including deathmatches, missions, on-line playing, etc. You can also create your own scenarios and missions to do. Basically what you do is you start out with something like three villagers and you have to build up your civilization from that. You have to build buildings, walls, and towers to protect yourself and learn new technologies. After you build a barracks or other military building, then you can create warriors, archers, scouts, calvary, boats, etc., depending on what building you built. Then you have to meet a certain requirement to finish the scenario, such as killing off all of the other civilizations, creating a Wonder, capturing a certain number of Ruins or Artifacts, etc. The possibilities are endless, because you can create your own scenarios. One of the favorite ones that I've made is one where you have two people and each has an equal number of fighters on a completely flat landscape. You have to run across the land and find your enemy, then use your skills and tactics to kill all of the others warriors before yours, and that is one of the most simple scenarios too!

Story:10
There isn't that much of a story in AoE, since most of the time you're just doing a random scenario or a deathmatch. BUT!, in the missions and scenarios that they have provided, I think that the stories are very good and interesting. You can also find a lot of very good and different scenarios to download on the internet.

Sound:10
The sound in AoE is very good and greatly enhances the AoE experiance. The sound effects sound very realistic, from the clank of the swords to the villagers voices. The music is good too, and doesn't get repetitive and boring at all.

Graphics:10
Everything in AoE looks very real. The buildings look beautiful, and the warriors look aggressive. The landscape looks very good and realistic also.

Replayability:10
AoE has a tremendous amount of replayability. You can play the deathmatches alone for weeks. With the option of creating your own scenarios and playing multi-player on the internet, this game will keep you busy for a very long time.

Overall:10

Buy or Rent?
Definitely buy, since you should be able to buy this for about $15-20 most places, and it is well worth that.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/14/00, Updated 12/14/00