Review by TSolheim

"My favorite multiplayer game."

Age of Empires is a real-time strategy that is completely different from the Civilization Series. You take control of a civilization and if you select the campaign mode you play mini-missions according to their history. It's kinda like you re-write the past.

Gameplay: If you go through the training missions, you'll easily learn all of the controls. You use the mouse for just about everything in the game. The missions are a challenge. There are a lot of options like death match, missions, create a mission (very cool), regular game and multi-player. The regular game is when you start out with low resources and you have to find them, build up your civilization and defeat the opponent. You can have multiple opponents. The create a mission is my favorite part. You start by selecting the map type. Then you can place units and animals. Then you select the victory conditions. There are tons of options for this mode.

Graphics: Some of the finest graphics I have seen. The units are very detailed. Not to mention the FMVs have beautiful graphics. The maps are well done from the trees, rocks, water and various animals.

Sound: The music in the FMVs are good. The sound effects are the best in Age of Empires. The animals make their respectable sounds. When you select a character and they perform your task they make some neat sounds.

Replay Value: With the create a mission and multi-player over the Internet this game gives you hours and hours of replay. If you can't make your own missions you could download some for an AOE site.

Overall: I would buy this game let alone on the multi-player. You will also be entertained with the one player. There is not much to complain about it. A great game indeed.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99