Review by Mastergamer90

"I still say AOE beats starcraft."

Intro: I usually hate Microsoft’s taste in games, but this one is one of their few masterpieces…heck, maybe the ONLY masterpiece they have… but I enjoyed it, and I don’t see why anyone would dislike this game. It has everything a great strategy game needs, as displayed in the following.

Gameplay: This game is very exciting and fun. A good game can last for hours on end to give you an experience you’ll never forget! Play the challenging campaigns, engage in a drastic war in a death match scenario, or link up with a friend’s PC and play head to head to test out your champion skills against the world! You can’t lose interest in this game that quickly, no matter how hard you try and toil.

Story: This game has multiple historical storylines, like the timeline of the Greek, and the Babylonian empires. But the story has little effect in this game. It’s not really very important in most places, but hey…you can create your own storylines with the scenario building function if it gets a bit old. Say you want to re-enact some sort of great Egyptian battle? It’s very possible. Make up your own heroes and characters as you battle through the middle ages!

Graphics/Sound: The graphics in this game are great. Very detailed characters and buildings, heck, you can see everything to the brick of a wall or each board in a granary! The music and sound effects in this game are also very good. Realistic sounds like the clanging and clashing of swords, and the flaming and crumbling of damaged buildings. Just like in real time, when your soldiers are killed, they fall, and their body decays, step by step, from a corpse in a pool of blood to a rotting skeleton in a field. Tree stumps remain while chopping wood, animals attack you the way they would in reality, and so on and so forth.

Playtime/Replayability: This game can give you endless hours of fun and never gets boring. With the varying gameplay, and the great effects, there are always more strategies to create and various empires to conquer. With online play, you can meet other players and compete to become the best in the world! You can take your personal campaigns to other friends, and play theirs, to add endless challenging, fun filled hours to your life.

Final Recommendation: I COMPLETELY recommend this game to anyone who likes strategy/action games. You will enjoy every second of the game and it is worth every penny that you spend on it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/03