Review by The_General

"Quake meets Indiana Jones...And It's A Perfect Hit!"

I can remember the first time I ever played a first person shooter game. When I first starting playing the Quake series, I thought it was the best thing I have ever seen. Just give me my chain gun, and let me mow down the giant, rumbling-and-grumbling monsters that roam around dark dungeons and desecrated temples. I loved it, and I thought there would never be something quite like he good ol' Quake series...until, that is, I picked up an interesting black box with a swastika on the side of it.

''Return To Castle Wolfenstein'' is the epitome of first person shooter games since the Quake series. ID has taken the standards to a new high, combining the grusome, lumbering, bloody monsters with the same World War 2 premise as in Raiders Of The Lost Arch. This combination may seem weird and ''out there,'' but the great minds at ID software make it work out.

The story is wonderfully creative and deeply enthrolved. Basically, Hitler's Third Reich is trying to dig up an old tomb from a dig site in Germany; a tomb that holds within it the cursed body of the Dark Knight, Heinrich I. Of course, behind this, we encounter an undead army, plans for the Uber Soldat (the Super Soldier), and even come to uncover Himmler in this, as well. Through cut scenes, and readable documents during gameplay, the plot thickens and intensifies for hours of gameplay.

The story is great, but what really makes this game tick is the revolutionary graphic design. Everything from the thick scars down the enemie's face to the wrinkles in a secret service agent's suit. The graphics are out of this world and set a total new standard.

Gameplay is also easy and basic, with the same keyboard/mouse combination used in most first person shooter games. It takes almost ten minutes to get a hand of it all. And even new hotkeys, like an item scroll, kick, and weapon upgrade key have been easily added, and takes only a second to learn.

Taking a break from a fantastic single player experience, we travel into the awesome world of Wolfenstein multiplayer. The multiplayer option in this game is the most enriched and fantastic thing I have ever played since playing Sierra's Half-Life online. The game is split into two teams: the Allies and the Axis, each with their respective classes (Soldier, Engineer, Medic, and Lieutenant). Different maps and different scenarios keep multiplayer action up and pumping for hours of online gameplay.

The bottom line: ''Return To Castle Wolfenstein'' is the PC game of the year! If you're a PC gamer, you should add this to you collection. If you're not a PC gamer, make ''Return To Castle Wolfenstein'' you're first experience. It's sure to blow you away.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/22/01, Updated 12/22/01