Review by AdmRose

"Near perfect, but not completely"

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is single-handedly the best FPS game I have ever played. But even the best can't be perfect. Let's have a look:

Graphics - 10/10

Stunning is the only way to describe it. The graphics have to be seen to be believed. Everything from reloading your weapon to unique uniforms for almost every German solder. The undead also look brilliant.

Sound - 9/10

The sound is excellent. All the weapons sound extremely realistic, the background sound changes to suit the mood (example, you are discovered during a mission), and the voices are superb. The only thing keeping this category from getting a 10 was the fact that all the German characters speak in English, with a German accent. Most people will miss the original Wolfenstein's Germans yelling at you in German.

Gameplay - 9/10

Everything is, to quote an old term, laid out right in front of you. All the keys are easy to learn and remember, even for a beginner. I had only one problem with crashes, and that was when reading an item I had just picked up. The game flows smoothly and cut scenes are pasted in every now and then too keep you up to date and to keep things from becoming too boring.

AI - 9/10

The AI of the German soldiers is excellent. They do almost what a real soldier would do. However, at times some of them just stand there with you in plain sight, or will run right into your heavy machine gun fire. Still, overall, better then the basic AI, and I'd put Wolfenstein's AI just a notch above that of Medal of Honor for PSX.

Story line - 10/10

Seems like Medal of Honor with undead thrown in to me, but it really is quite interesting. With Germany steadily losing WWII, Hitler is looking for new ideas to win the war for the Reich. Enter Heinrich Himmler and the SS Paranormal Division. You start the game captured at Castle Wolfenstein, only upon escaping do you realize the true evil going on. The game will take you to various locations within Germany, eventually you will return to Castle Wolfenstein to destroy the Paranormal Division's work and save the free world.

Breakdown -
Pros:
* Unprecedented graphics
* Excellent sound
* Compatible with all major Windows operating systems
* Story line will keep you captivated for hours
* Decent replay ability in the form of Secret Areas and Treasure (try to find it all)

Cons:
* Gameplay can have (EXTREMELY) minor problems on Windows XP
* The cost, a whopping $59.99 (Sure to go down sooner or later)

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/28/01, Updated 12/28/01