Review by neatd99

"A must for First Person Shooter fans"

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one of the best PC games of 2001. RtCW is certainly a First-Person Shooter classic and will not be forgotten easily. Read this review to find out why.

Story 8/10

You're B.J. Blazkowicz, a one man army on an epic campaign to pierce the black heart of the Third Reich. Your mission is to stop S.S head Himmler's attempts to use science and the occult to raise an unstoppable army against the allies. You begin your mission during the Second World War as a prisoner in Castle Wolfenstein, a Nazi castle. You quickly make your escape and learn how serious the situation is. The story is told by cut-scenes and letters that can be found during gameplay. Overall, the story is not very exciting. There are no real surprises in the plot or anything. Still, the story is above-average for a first-person shooter.

Graphics 10/10

The graphics in RtCW are very smooth and extremely detailed. The environments in the game are very large and have many small details. It is hard to believe the graphics for RtCW could get any better. The great graphics and large environments really make this game a lot better. The graphics in RtCW are much better than other first-person shooters on the PC.

Sound 10/10

The sound in RtCW is great. All of the guns have a unique sound and explosions can sound very realistic. In my opinion, the sound could not have been better. The great sound makes this game a lot better.

Controls 10/10

What can I say? The controls can be customized if you do not like them already at their current configuration. How can it get any better than that?

Artificial Intelligence 8/10

Enemies in RtCW could have been a lot smarter. Enemy A.I is good, but not great. If you throw a grenade at an enemy, the enemy might kick it back to you. Some enemies will try to dodge your attacks. Enemies range from Nazis to zombies. No matter what enemy you are facing, you can count on one thing. The enemy is probably not that smart. Here is an example: I go into a room with only one enemy. He sees me, but instead of calling for backup, he decides to fight me. The thing is, he has a pistol, and I have a Thompson sub-machine gun! How does he think he is going to kill me? A smarter enemy would have at least tried to hide behind a wall or something. He just stood there, not avoiding the bullets from my Thompson, shooting at me. The stranger part is that it took him a couple of shots to actually hit me, and I was right in front of him. Most enemies will just stand and shoot at you, which hurts the overall game. Don't expect an enemy to do much else than that. However, sometimes an enemy will try to dodge your bullets or hide behind something. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen often. I must add one thing. There are a few types of enemies that are always smart. These are the tougher enemies to kill. They will dodge your attack, and try to surround you. Instead of just shooting, they will move around. Unfortunately, these enemies are not seen often.

Single Player 9/10

The single player game has many different styles of gameplay. There is mostly just shooting, however there is some stealth gameplay mixed in. There are many different types of enemies, all with their own strengths and weaknesses. RtCW also has a large selection of weapons. Some weapons are from WW2, others are science fiction weapons such as the Tesla gun. There are also many different types of environments in the single player game. The single player game will keep you busy for a long time. RtCW's single player game is a typical first-person shooter. The lack of originality keeps RtCW's single player game from receiving a higher score.

Multiplayer 10/10

The multiplayer experience in RtCW is excellent. The level design is perfect in my opinion. Players can pick what character class they would like to be such as Lieutenant, Medic, Soldier, or Engineer. Each class has its own special ability. This makes the multiplayer experience of RtCW much more fun and unique. The multiplayer in RtCW is a team game. There are different modes of multiplayer to choose from, such as Objective, Stopwatch, and Checkpoint modes. In objective mode, your team completes objectives. There is usually an assaulting team, which is trying to complete an objective like blowing up a radar tower or stealing some documents. The other team defends those objectives. If the assaulting team completes all of their objectives before the time runs out, they win. If they run out of time, the defending team wins. Stopwatch mode is the same as Objective mode, its just that you switch sides after a round. This way, both teams get to be the assaulting team once. The team that wins by assaulting the fastest wins the game. Checkpoint mode is when teams battle for control of checkpoint flags. These different types of multiplayer add to the overall gameplay. With different types of multiplayer, there is something for everyone. Multiplayer in RtCW couldn't be better.

Replay Value 10/10

After you beat the single player game, you will probably want to play this game again. The single player game is really good. Also, the multiplayer game is so good that you wont stop playing for a long time. This game has a lot of replay value.

Overall 9/10

RtCW is a great first-person shooter. However, problems with the story, A.I, and the lack of originality in the single player game prevents this game from receiving a perfect score. However, this is still one of the best first-person shooters out there.

To buy or to rent

This is a must buy for first-person shooter fans. However, if you do not like first-person shooters, or you do not have an Internet connection, you might not want to buy this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/02, Updated 04/23/02