Review by CDuke

"Eat puzzles, sleep puzzles, drink puzzles"

Introduction:
I'm not quite sure what provoked my friend to buy this for me. I don't think he even knows, maybe it was in the bargain bin. But once I put it in my CD drive I was welcomed into the most innovative experience.

This game is not like any other in the graphics department. It has got 10/10 for an original and very well used 2D style. The game uses 360 degree pan shot of an area which looks fantastic and animated but all 2D using footage rather than real 3D environments. There is nothing that could really improve this, it really does work.

The sound in this game is also nicely used, creating a calm and slightly eerie atmosphere. The acting within the game is not great but the feel is not ruined. The sound is used well, but not to it's full potential.

The whole game is based in an interesting worlds which are mysterious and beautiful. In these worlds you have to complete various puzzles, which are near impossible to guess. There are no clues to the answers, it can be very difficult to figure out how every contraption works and very rewarding when you do figure it out. It can take you several hours of searching or just sitting there looking at the thing. I would have thought this to be frustrating but it really isn't, it just makes you think. It's very hard to ask for more of a puzzle game. The only frustrating thing is that some puzzles really do leave you with no clue, sometimes you are tricked into thinking this is your own fault because you did not look hard enough but usually the game is to blame. I won't lie, I did look up clues for this game once or twice. But overall, an enjoyable experience.

Long Term: 6/10
You will only play this game through once, maybe again in 18 months. Otherwise you'll remember the answers. It will take you along time to get through, especially if you accept no help but if you accept help this game could become way to short to validate a purchase. This is the only real weakness of the game.

Pros:
+ Great looking and very atmospheric
+ Well designed puzzles
+ Different and interesting
Cons:
- Hardly any replay value
- Too hard puzzles
- Sometimes you're given no clue

Probably the best puzzler out there and one of the most interesting ones. If you want a brain teaser get this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/13/04