How to run this game in Vista?? (DirectDraw error)

1. I installed the game on XP, it works fine.
    But when I install it on Vista and try to run the game, the game crashes and there's this error message:

"Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video
    card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw"

I'm trying to run it on my notebook, and I'm sure the graphics card is more than capable of running a game like Age 2... It runs even Battlefield \ Desert Combat \ Counter Strike \ etc...

I tried to run it with compatibility mode... Same error...

If anyone know how to fix this, please answer!

Thanks in advance

User Info: GranMestreChefe

GranMestreChefe - 7 years ago
    Well, I agree... It isn't a good idea to keep enabling/disabling my video card... I'd rather avoid that...
    And I tried to install and older version of DIrectx 9.0, but it doesn't install: when the installer detects I have a newer one, it just finishes without installing nothing.

User Info: GranMestreChefe

GranMestreChefe - 7 years ago

Answers

1. You know, I've been having the same problem forever. I've searched all over the internets and through my own computer textbooks and my own knowledge and the only thing I've ever found to work is to disable your videocard in advanced settings, restart your computer and play.

I do not think it is wise to repeatedly disable/enable your main videocard, as this causes wear and tear, so your best bet is to just "invest" in an old, piece of junk computer to run this.

User Info: Adam_the_Nerd

Adam_the_Nerd - 7 years ago 0 0
  2. The best thing you can try is to install DirectX 9.03c. IIRC you don't need to remove newer version of it, if you have it. DirectX 9.03c has few files that at least version 10 doesn't have. This game uses one of those files. Thats why you get that error message. Hope this helps you.

(to check your DirectX version type "dxdiag" to start - run.... window)

User Info: Jamsaboy

Jamsaboy - 7 years ago 0 0
  3. Well you need to actually install the older versions of DirectX. In these cases I would advise you to get hold of a cabinet file containing the old Dx files, and use a Cabinet extractor to extract the dll files. All that is left to do is to copy those files to the System32 directory. Alternatively, you can get hold of a standalone installer, change the extension from .exe to .zip, extract the zip file to get the required dll files and copy them to your System32 folder

User Info: rohitmitra5752

rohitmitra5752 - 6 years ago 0 0