Review by therater13

"A good expantion to a great game."

Age of empires 2: the conquerors expansion.

I think this may be one of the greatest expansion packs I have ever played, heck if this was a standalone game it would still be above average if not a little short.

Game play: It looks like they improved a lot since the last game, but since age of kings was already amazing, they still pulled it off. Five new civilizations have been added, all are pretty good. There are some tweaks in the game play now; ex if you set villagers gather point at a lumber camp they will start chopping wood near the lumber camp. Online is also better with the five new civilizations but I will get to that later.

Graphics: What can I say, they are pretty much the same, if not exactly the same but hey, they get the job done and they still look very nice and crisp,

Sounds: They are still solid, the units have some new sounds, and they are done well like in the original game also there is some new music during games. It is done pretty well; the music does get a tad annoying though, after an extended period of play.

Multiplayer: It is just amazing, the five new civilization's that have been added really help spice things up and give much more variety and choice to games, the new maps are pretty good, and there is a fair amount of people always online. Hackers have not consumed age of empires online yet, and this game is still fairly popular even today. Though it is dieing to a certain extent, not as many people are on game spy arcade as there once was but hey, there is still enough to have a number of fun games.

Single player: This game offers three new campaign's, I really did not enjoy these campaign's all that much, I had a lot of fun with the Hun campaign but the El Cid campaign was kind of boring and I wasn't a fan of the Aztec campaign much either.

Also there are the battles of conquerors that you can play, most are fairly dull, they do add more game play though and out of the ten or so levels around 3-4 are really fun and hard.

Overall this is a must game for any gamer who enjoys strategy games at all, if you do not like strategy, buy this game anyway it just might convince you to give it a try.

My overall score: 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/24/08

Game Release: Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion (US, 08/24/00)