Review by Tectonic_Corn

"The game that changed MMORPGs."

This game is one of the best games I have ever played. The way it is made is one of the most innovative games I have seen. It has completely changed the entire MMORPG category, and I don't care what other people think, this is an MMORPG.Anyways, onto the review:

Wow! These graphics are stunning! Forget all about WoW, because these graphics are incredible. Light shines off your cape, realistic spells fly through the air, and above all that, the characters look wonderful. Graphics definitely do not hurt this game.

The sound for this game wasn't all that good, nor was it awful. I did not find it mute-worthy, as so many others did, and it seemed to fit the mood most of the time, but the music department could have been better. I did enjoy the battle sounds, such as spells being casted, hammers being swung, etc.

This is the real meat of the game, and the part I definitely have to call the highlight of the game. First let's start with the character: the level cap in this game is 20, which I think is an excellent idea, because once your character has reached level 20, all the battles are based on skill, not how many hours of your life you've wasted training and training and training. Also, when you make your character, you choose from six classes to be your character's primary profession. The six classes are: Warrior, Monk, Mesmer, Elementalist, Necromancer, and Ranger. All of the classes have attributes, which you get to raise as you wish when leveling up. Later on, you get to have a secondary profession, with its own set of attributes. There is no downside to having a second profession, but choose carefully because each class has a special attribute which can only be raised if it is your primary. Anyways, onto the battle system: Your character can use skills in battle. You can find skills in numerous ways. The problem is that you can only bring 8 skills into combat, so strategy is a big issue here. Also, in battle, this game is not meant to be a hack and slash game. Dodging arrows, selecting skills, running and chasing are all part of combat. In MOST cases it will not be a match where the players sit and whack each other until one team dies.

Okay, obviously it a bit hard to have a good story in an MMORPG, but the story of Guild Wars is surprisingly compelling. The Charr (a race of incredibly ugly creatures) are wiping out the human race. You must rise from the ranks of ordinary people to stop them. While a bit melodramatic, the story is fine and fits well with the game.

You can't stop playing this game! It'll always keep you coming back for more, whether to play PvP or Roleplaying!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/31/05