Firefox 3 is eating my RAM!? (I think)

1. Stupid Mozilla saying this wouldn't happen...

Anyway, Firefox 3 was being kind of unresponsive (i.e., it would stop responding to stuff for several seconds and then resume), so I opened up the Task Manager. Apparently, firefox.exe is the second-biggest process I'm using. Also, when the unresponsiveness happens, the CPU usage hits 100% (which I suppose is the point of the CPU usage bar, lol). Is there any way to alleviate this?

User Info: capefeather

capefeather - 8 years ago
    Oh... Right... Specs...
    Sony VAIO w/ Vista (lol deaf laptop)
    Intel Core 2 duo
    2038 MB Ram
    141 GB hard drive (77.6 GB free)

I bought the computer in September 2007. I didn't get SP1 yet because I wanted to format first, which I haven't gotten around to doing yet, lol.

I have CCleaner and Webroot Spy Sweeper. I've never heard of Auslogics, so I'll go check that out. I actually used CCleaner very recently. The other thing is that I only had this problem yesterday; it's not lagging anymore. Maybe I was just using Fx for too long... I periodically restart with stored session anyway because of my laptop's stupid habit of outputting the wrong things when I type sometimes (e.g. I press " and I get ``).

User Info: capefeather

capefeather - 8 years ago

1. If you can manage to run FF3 for daily work then I have a workaround...

Usually what you can do to solve this is to close FF3 and say "Save and Quit" - that way, FF restarts (no more memory problem) and your current browsing is saved.

User Info: GeneralElektron

GeneralElektron - 8 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. Firefox has a gradual RAM accumulation problem, however the lag and CPU usage shouldn't be happening.
    So either you're on very very old hardware (2000 and earlier) or your computer needs maintenance.

If you haven't formatted and reinstalled your OS in over a year you should back up everything important and do that.

Also make sure you have these,
    CCcleaner
    Auslogics disk defrag
    Spybot Search & Destroy.

But really you have told us absolutely no information about your computer, what are its hardware specs, what OS are you running, do you do maintenance or just leave it alone?

User Info: ff8ff8

ff8ff8 - 8 years ago 1 0
  2. Clearing you're private data might help, or you may have plugins causing it. Or you have too many tabs open.

User Info: _0blivion_

_0blivion_ - 7 years ago 1 0
  3. Try Defragmenting your Hard Drive,
    then run a registry cleaner,
    and then delete and reinstall Firefox.

anyways your computer is pretty powerful you
    shouldnt have any problems

User Info: carey2

carey2 - 7 years ago 0 0
  4. Haven't had RAM problems with FF since their latest updates. I'd check your Flash and Java plug-ins for updates. As of this moment, Flash is v10, and Java is v6 update 12.

User Info: nayhem

nayhem - 7 years ago 0 0
  5. I think you have installed lots of add-ons.Try to disable them or uninstall them.This should solve your problem.

User Info: rpj92412

rpj92412 - 7 years ago 0 0
  6. Go to support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/High+memory+usage and follow instructions.
    That helped me.

User Info: _Shadoistic_

_Shadoistic_ - 7 years ago 1 0