Can my computer burn dvd's?

1. Hi all, I haven't ever tried burning dvd's on my computer, and the thing is that it has been reformatted so many times that some times I need to find drivers and firmware for various things and install them manually, and noticing that my computer can't seem to burn dvd's I think there might be something that I need to install.

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8160B should I be able to burn dvd's with this? If so where can I download whatever I need to get it working?

Thanks in advance.

User Info: Darkriku666

Darkriku666 - 7 years ago

1. ^ What they said. If you want to pick up a DVDRW drive check new egg, they go for around $20 these days, not a big investment.

That said, CDRW/DVDRW drives don't typically have drivers as such. What you do need is a burning program. XP and Vista can both handle writing to CDRW discs, Vista Premium and Ultimate can also do DVDRW. Or you can get a specialized burning application, Nero for example.

User Info: Asellus

Asellus - 7 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. DVD-ROM drives can't burn DVDs.

User Info: nayhem

nayhem - 7 years ago 1 0
  2. HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8160B is a DVD Reader not a burner

User Info: nalrah1

nalrah1 - 7 years ago 0 0
  3. It isn't an RW, just a ROM. Unless the info we are getting is incorrect in some way, then no.

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007 - 7 years ago 0 0
  4. DVD+/-R discs don't meet any quality control standards, and I personal don't suggest using them as they often times burn, but end up unreadable later.

If you do buy a DVD+/-RW drive I strongly suggest burning at 4x, and turning on data verification. It'll take longer, but it raises the chance of readability a lot. I'd avoid dual layer (DVD+/-R DL) media like the plague.

At this point, other good options depending on how much data you have to back up include CD-R (650-700 megs), or an external USB hard drive (requires USB 2.0).

User Info: vtwesley

vtwesley (Expert) - 7 years ago 0 1
  5. If all the drivers were installed it would only be able to read DVD's... DVDRW drives are not expensive at all...

User Info: 19rustinpeace92

19rustinpeace92 - 7 years ago 0 0
  6. DVD-RW and DVD-RAM drives to burn DVD's.
    Buy a Liteon or Samsung.

User Info: _Shadoistic_

_Shadoistic_ - 7 years ago 0 2
  7. Try some software like cd burner xp (works on vista too) to burn some CD's , sry u cannot burn dvd

User Info: neon_dead

neon_dead - 7 years ago 0 0
  8. Anytime you see the acronym "ROM" then the answer is no unless it is also accompanied by "RW". This is because ROM stands for Read Only Memory. RW stands for Re-Writable. Someone else mentioned you can buy a DVD+-RW drive for like 20 bucks. That is true.

User Info: df853

df853 - 7 years ago 0 0
  9. Every one else has answered your questions about DVDRW+/- but if you want a good free program to burn your DVD's then Nero do a free version of their Nero 9. The only thing it doesn't have is HD support that is in the premium version.

User Info: WarLokk1980

WarLokk1980 - 7 years ago 0 0