Review by Tim706

"One of the most realistic racing sims on the market today."

Ah Live for Speed. Many an hour have I spent on my computer trying to shave 0.1 off my dragstrip time, or coming around that final turn on one of the tracks ahead of the rest of the pack.

Now, if you're just into arcade racers lacking in real driving physics but are still fun nonetheless, then you should probably stick to those as you most likely won't find this game to be your cup of tea. But if you're a hardcore gamer in which the more realism the better the game, this is for you!

Live for Speed is the most realistic driving simulator I have played. The physics are just unbelievable. If you drive in real life you'll quickly come to appreciate the work put into making a driving experience that lets you 'feel' the road not just turning the wheel in the right direction when you come to a corner.

The game developers are releasing the game in three stages, S1, S2, and S3. Currently only S1 is out, but you can still enjoy the full racing experience with only a third of what the designers actually want to do. One of the main things lacking is a damage model, or tire wear, but those will be introduced in S2. S1 contains four 'worlds' with anywhere from 4 to 8 different tracks in each location. As well it comes with 8 cars.

The graphics are good for todays standards. But considering the game is made by a grand total of THREE people, to even do half as well as they did with this game would have been acceptable.

The cars you can drive are not actually liscenced cars, but that didn't stop them from making them damn good. You have your choice between a small front wheel drive vehicle similar to a civic, then you're average low class sports car real wheel drive and a turbo version of that. Then you get a four wheel drive turbo (awesome for the rally tracks. Yes it has rally tracks!) and a front wheel drive high performence sports car. Then you have the LX4 and LX6, best to be described as looking similar to a Panoz Roadster, and then the go-kart (my favourite). This is the only 'real' car in the game and it is the car that universities drive in some racing league of their own (sorry for not knowning more about it :P But this isn't your typical go-kart. This is a go-kart that gets up to 100 mph.

You can customize pretty much anything in your cars from tires to ride height to gearing to toe-in to camber.

Realism: 10/10
Graphics: 8.5/10
Overall fun: 10/10

I can only urge you to proceed directly to their site, www.liveforspeed.net and download the demo. You'll get a taste of what it's like. You can buy the S1 version online for 12 Euros, approx. 15 US dollars.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/23/03