Review by Seth the Dark

"A breath of fresh destruction"

When I first saw this game at Best Buy I thought it was just going to be another tired RTS, but alas I was wrong! This innovative game breath new life into the genre. Admittedly I am a bit biased because I grew up playing the board game, but gamers that have not played the table top game will find it enjoyable.

This game has awesome graphics combining great terrain and unit graphics. For starters the many ruined city fo into great details with various craters, buildings, and waving banners on the buildings. Another part of the graphics are the different units and the amazing details the creators went into making them. The game comes with an army painter with which you can create your own design for an army of the four different races.

This is where the game really shines. Previous games would focus on creating mass numbers of troops with little or no strategy involved. In this game you have squads with which you can add more units to and equip specialist weapons to your squads. The game contains four armies: Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar and Orks. THe Space Marines and Chaos are basically the same and the only difference is that the Chaos are the evil version of the Space Marines. The Orks use brute force to overrun their enemies and the Eldar are the most technologically advance race but generally don't have the best defense.

The background music for this game is pretty good, nothing great but generally good. It helps to create a war like feel. The main drawback of this game is the constant talking by your units when you select them got on my nerves because it was the same thing over and over.

This is a great game, even possibly a contender for game of the year. It has a pretty good extra in the army painter but falls short on not including a map editor. The graphics and gameplay are the main draws of this game with the sound being only average.

In short I would highly recommend this game to anyone interested in a fresh, new RTS that actually incorporates strategy.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/01/04