Review by Wist

"Hmm.. wow.. what an original and totally sweet RTS!"

Introduction:
When I say original I meant gameplay. I have to admit when I first started playing this game I thought to myself. What is this? A mix between Starcraft and Warcraft?! I soon found out it wasn't at all. The reason why I thought this was because there was Orks and Space Marines. But basically Warhammer is a real time strategy that focuses on military dominance to achieve a superior economy. Sounds a bit confusing? Well it is kinda confusing and its something you have to try out to completely understand. In the end, it is a very, very fun game that I guarantee will impress you and leave you wanting more at the same time.

Gameplay:
Do you love mech warriors? Do you love space marines? Do you love watching a dozen enemies fly back with a swing of a mech's arm and charge back for more only to find out that the mech will pick them up individually and squeeze them to death? Yes, this game is a bit gorey and when I say gorey I mean totally sweet.

Basically its your standard real time strategy game with a barracks that build infantry, armory upgrades units, etc. However, there are two resources: energy and requisition. Energy is easy to obtain. Just simply build plasma generators. Requisition is the neat feature. On a standard map there are about a dozen or so strategy points. You have to send a squad of infantry to capture it and then the point is yours. This gains you requisition. You can build upon the strategy points to better fortify it and gain more requisition. However, you cannot build near strategy points without a listening post. There is an area in which you can only build. This prevents someone from cutting the map in half at the start with defense and forcing them to grow from a single base.

Another neat feature is morale. Some units have 2 bars. A health bar that obviously tells how much health the unit has and the other for morale. Whenever a unit is under heavy fire, taking a lot of casualties or have a lack of support they will panic and lose morale. This will cause them to fight ineffectively, not fight at all, or run. Some units in the game do not have morale though such as Mechs and tanks. Also, when you build infantry, you do not build them one at a time. You build a squad of infantry. Once again, Mechs are different and are built one at a time.

A lot of things in the game are customizable. For example, when you build a squad it is nowhere near its full strength and potential. You can reinforce the squad and add additional units (and continue through battle just in case one dies), you can add a leader, attach hero type units, and customize what type of weapons you want the squad to carry. Facing a lot of infantry? Then a flamethrower might help or a Bolter. Facing a lot of vehicles? Then maybe some rocket launchers might help. That is the coolest part of the game. You cannot build 10 mechs and plan to dominate the map with it! You need infantry to gain points and the game is very rock, paper, scissors that you need a well rounded army to win.

Story:
The story was neat but I was dissapointed. There are four races: Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, and the Orks. By the way I forgot to mention that everything I mentioned in gameplay was for the Space Marines only. Each civilization operates differently! But back on subject, I was playing the campaign and to summarize my problem without any spoilers, the whole time I was thinking "I can't wait to play the Eldar campaign and the Ork campaign and blah blah blah." That time never came. There is only a Space Marine campaign and it is only 10 missions long or so and can beat in a day or two depending on your speed and skill. However, despite being short it was pretty decent with good character development and plot.

Sound:
Interesting to say the least. Realistic too as I assume. The sounds of artillery blasting away, lasers fire across the battlefield, marines yelling commands, screams of pain and death. I'd say it was a job well done. The music is quite fitting too. I noticed it had heroic music at appropriate time and slow and eerie music when those times were appropriate as well.

Graphics:
Ah, very nice. Everything looks as it should. The battlegrounds are very nice and you can tell they put a lot of time into making the battlegrounds appear like a post apocolyptic planet with craters, broken buildings, mounds and heaps of rubble. As for animations it was very well done too. My favorite feature by far is the attacks some units do. For example, mech warriors for the Space Marines might swing and hit many units back, pick up enemies and crush them in the air, and pick up individual units and throw them. Even the space marines will sometimes kill an enemy with a melee weapon and throw the enemy down and pull the melee weapon from out of them. You get the idea.

Flaws:
Campaign was short. That was my only beef with this game.

Replayability:
Let's just say this will satisfy your multiplayer needs for a long, long time.

Conclusion:
What an awesome game. This definitely goes down in my books as one of the coolest games let alone of the best real time strategy games I've ever played. It is right up there with Starcraft, Warcraft series, Age of Empires series and Command and Conquer Series. It might even be BETTER than some of those.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/24/05