Review by Wist

"A continuation of a great series"

Introduction:
Let me start out by saying that I'm a big fan of the rollercoaster tycoon series and I have been playing it ever since it was first released. For those who share the love for this game, they know exactly what I'm talking about. The coasters, the people, the music, the sound.. its just a great experience to play. However, under a completely new engine, would the game be the same? The answer is simply "no" but thats not a bad thing. They managed to pull it off with a completely new feel to the game while maintaining that awesome amusement park tycoon feel.

Gameplay:
The game is exactly the same as the first two, just under a new engine. The layout and controls are different but the main point of the game remains. You are an amusement park tycoon and you must complete the scenarios given in order to continue on with the game. You start out with a park layed out for you and it is your job to build the park of your dreams. Well, maybe just a park that meets the objectives and your budget. In this game there are hundreds of rides, shops and sceneries where you can just let your creativity explode. The same basic concept from small gentle rides to mega coastesr with inversions, twists and verticle drops. One amazing feature that I absolutely loved was the fact that you can now ride your rides. I know other games pulled this off but when matched well with scenery, it blows out a trip to any real amusement park out the water! The game will shift between night and day and different forms of weather as well. Ride a rollercoaster at night for a completely new experience.

Story:
You are a rollercoaster tycoon. That's pretty much it. I know it sounds lame but it isn't.

Sound:
The joyful screams of the park just aren't the same. I'm use to the same repeating noise of rollercoasters, chain lifts, music and crowds from the first two. However, this game has a completely new set of noise forcing me to let go of those nostalgic memories. However, it is quite sufficient in showing peeps having fun and having a good time. The music is much more developed as well. It's not some cheesy repeating track but more elaborate songs and even the ability to import your own into the game. I'm not sure if this is an improvement or a bad thing. I guess its up to you. Basically, the sounds are good, just different from the prequels. Take that as you may.

Graphics:
Wow. I know they aren't amazing but they look much better than any other amusement park builder. The people, enviroment, reflections in the water, lighting, fireworks, rides and even the interface is looking very nice. The rides are beautiful.. literally. The trees sway with the wind and the water actually reflects! Night time can be a beautiful thing as well with glowing walkways and rides with lights. Once again, riding the rides are amazing looking. I swear I can actually feel the G's while viewing it.

Flaws:
The game has a lot of bugs which I'm sure will be addressed in a patch. There are many gameplay issues and AI problems. However, I doubt they will be problems much longer. Another problem I had with the game was the difficult interface. Its a much more complex game than the first two, so building rides and just working the game isn't as easy. It took a while to get use to.

Replayability:
You will get numerous hours of gameplay out of this game. If you are a fan of the prequels then you better call of work or fake sick. I think its more just to say you'll get numerous days of gamplay rather than hours.

Conclusion:
Its an amazing game and is one of very few sequels that actually improve upon the original. While the original being a classic, this one sets a new foundation for a future of RCTs. It has a different feel and thats a good thing. I don't think they dropped the ball one bit in transfering this over into a 3D world. If you want it, just buy it or at least get the demo. I assure you that you won't be disappointed... unless the bugs aren't addressed in a patch.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/22/04