Question from lilshaz0

How do I raise approval late in game?

So all my party members but Allistair have their approval rating high enough to obtain additional quest options but I still haven't past the +25 mark with him because he apparently hates all my decisions. I have no conversation options with him left, have given him all statuettes I could find, and gave him one char specific gift (think it was a pendant from redcliffe or something). Am I just forced to scrounge together a ton of gifts he's indifferent to increase it to useful levels? Are the number of gifts in the game finite? It's really annoying because he is my tank but has no approval perks.

Denethor0 answered:

And if you messed up by bringing him along and making to many choices that he do not like so his dissaproves, then it is entirely possible that you will not be able to get his approval high enough. After all, there is only so much dialog to raise his approval and for each gift given to him, the next one will give 1 less point as following.

Whenever you hand a gift to a companion (drag it from the inventory to the appropriate companion picture on the left), the item disappears from party inventory permanently. An item thus given provides a bonus to that characters approval rating (from +1 to +10) based on the following rules:

Base approval bonus: +5
If companion likes the gift: +5
For every gift given before: -1
If the companions approval is negative at the moment of gifting: half the value of the bonus
Minimum approval bonus: +1

And there is not an eternal supply of gifts as to my knowledge, thus wasting too many opportunities to raise approval and receiving to much disapproval from your actions and/or dialog can make it impossible to get a character to "personal quest" approval level.
0 0

Answers

Reapper77 answered:

Yeah... Pretty much the way right now is giving gifts... Though it's not only statuettes he likes, Giv'him precious rings and the chantry runestone... so far these and the statuettes are the ones that most get his approval up....
0 0

Denethor0 answered:

This might be a little late, but since I played through the game I though on who to bring to each area before going there depending on what I thought I might decide to do and not only depending on who I would need in that area. I also saved ALL gifts except plot/quest critical ones like black grimoire for Morrigan.

After all, dialog and a little thought on who to bring to certain quests can ensure a very high approval without any gifts and thus leaving all those trinkets to max out approval rating.
0 0