Question from Jacmol

What processor and graphics do I need to play on the 1920 x 1200 screen?

I'd like to play Oblivion in highest graphical specs possible on the 1920 x 1200 resolution screen, having a decent (at least 50) FPS ratio. Currently I can choose between AMD FX-57 / G-Force 7900 GS and AMD Phenom II 550 BE / G-Force 275 systems. Would the weeker system be OK, or do I have to install the game on the better one ?

plucky027 answered:

Anti-Aliasing, far draw distances, and shadows all play a major role in how well this game looks... all of which older cards are not well equipped to handle. Hitting 1920x1200 reso and still having a decent framerate may be possible with a 7900GS but you won't be cranking the settings up, especially Anti-Aliasing. The bare minimum for this game, realistically, is a 6800GT which was a solid card for it's day..... one that the 7000 series barely out-preformed.

On top of that, if you want the best possible graphical experience possible there are many mods available which can increase the quality of the game's base textures by a crazy amount. One example is Qarl's Texture Pack, a 1.68GB download:

h t t p : / / elderscrolls.filefront.com/screenshots/File/83706/1

^--- this will not run on a 7900GS heh.

Other mods are available for the things Qarl's does not do, such as face, body, clothing/armor, vegetation and the sky. Overall, if you fully modded the game's textures you're looking at an average of a 4x quality increase. Definitely worth considering.
0 0