Question from tiagmadra

What happens if you kill a Stranger?

SPOILER ALERT
If you haven't completed the story yet, or if you haven't finished the Thieves Guild questline, don't read my question as it contains major spoilers for it.
If you're okay with that, my question is as i follows:

As you may know, there's a NPC called "A Stranger", which turns out to be grey fox afterwards on the thieves guild questline.
I just started over oblivion, and I was doing the Anvil Mages guild quest when I stumbled across this NPC. Having done the thieves guild before, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen to the quest if I killed him.

Can someone tell me what happens? I really don't want to try it myself, because I'm planning to do that quest again and I don't wait it ruined.

tiagmadra provided additional details:

I did try to hit him, and he did take damage for it, I only had a iron dagger at that time though and was only lv1 so he quickly ran away and the guards came.
I did see his hp come down though, if he was unkillable wouldn't he not take damage for it?
As for the crown, I didn't notice if he had one or not, I'll try to look for him again.

cardshark1 answered:

He should be essential (unkillable, with a crown icon instead of a talk icon) until after you complete the Thieves Guild questline.
1 0

Best way to kill Toutious Sextious in quest Paranoia? Open DownloadFailed
Why won't Oblivion XP load? Unanswered MrPototo
Where is Reman Broder? Open grankle
Failed a rat problem? Unanswered godlytim
How do I solve Rosethorn Cache ? Open TwistedReversed