Review by viewtyjoe

"Another honest reveiw of Oblivion"

So, I managed to "acquire" Oblivion (take that how you want), and since I've yet to read a brutally honest yet funny review, I'll write my own, dang it.

Graphics: ?/10

Yes, this is a PC game, therefore graphics are the reader's responsibility. If the game looks like crap for you, get a better PC. Looks good to me, although the grass popping up 50-100 ft out gets annoying after awhile.

Let's break this down a bit more:

Combat: 5/10

I know you can actually block now, but combat is still relatively boring and unexciting, since there's no real strategy. On the plus side, snipers rejoice, since you finally can really snipe with a bow. Apparently power attacks have fun attacks at high skill levels, but I've noticed no such thing.

Magic: 5/10

Yawn. Same magic as Morrowind, same potentially gamebreaking results (chameleon, cough cough), but without the fun stuff like levitate. They made it harder to access spell creation and enchantment, requiring a few hours of questing to unlock. But once you can, you can easily make every battle in the game hilariously simple (again, chameleon).

Travel: 3/10

If you ever do overland travel outside going to dungeons for quests, you'll notice that there's this huge world around you, but there's little incentive to go wander. Supposedly, this world is much larger than Morrowind, but I have yet to see results on this promise. You get a horse, which is useful until you reach around 60 speed, at which point, I believe you are faster than any horse you can buy. If you are like most people, you'll just fast travel where you need to go. Like the stilt striders of Morrowind, you can go places quick, but now it's anywhere you've been, plus major cities, and you can do it from the menu, it's free, you don't need a stilt strider, and it doesn't cause any trouble finding dungeons, since every quest dungeon gets marked on your map, along with the arrow that points you where you need to go on your compass.

GUI: 0/10

If Bethesda wanted to make a more difficult to use inventory/journal/status/map screen, they'd have difficulty. There's really no effective way to arrange items or spells, you have to learn which tabs represent which menus in your status, and you'll be sick of flipping from the active quest to the map.

How that averages out to 7 is beyond your comprehension.

I really want to kill some of the voice actors, but I love the beggars who have a sick voice when they ask for donations, but thank you in a strong, healthy voice. All the other sounds are good, but not stellar.

Nothing new here. Same old save the world schtick.

Quests: 8/10

If you need something to do, Oblivion will provide. There are more than enough quests to keep you entertained for a very long time. There are the faction quests, the arena, the houses, the horses, the nirnroots, the main quest, vampires, basically anything you could want.

Oblivion: 10/10

Lava wins, automatically. If you're immune to fire, you can swim in it just like normal water. If you need a change of scenery, though, Oblivion can do. Just jump into one of the many handy dandy gates to Oblivion, and poof, hellish wastelands for you to conquer. Sealing Oblivion gates is at the very least entertaining.

Monsters: 7/10

No radically new monsters, but at least there's more variety. I personally like Minotaurs. They look good, and they're actually a decent challenge. What more could you want?

Addiction: 10/10

This game is like moon sugar, once you start it, you won't want to stop.

Basically, if you want a better RPG, you're going to have to make your own. But still, as games go, there are better.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/09/06