Review by Gorilla_Knight

"The Greatest RPG"

INTRODUCTION

I was introduced to the Elder Scrolls series at Morrowind. That was a great game leaving me wanting more. I now get that more. It is called Oblivion. This is my favorite game now. Without further ado, on with the review.

STORY

The Elder Scrolls games are well-known for their awesome story line. In this installment, you begin as a prisoner. After creating your race and typing your name, you begin your quest. The Emperor visits your cell and says he saw you in his dreams and asks you to follow him to fulfill your destiny. On your journey, however, the Emperor, Uriel Septim, is assassinated. You must find the heir to the throne before it is too late. There are plenty of plot twists and such to keep you coming for more, I don't want to spoil it. There are also realms to the demonic world of Oblivion that open up. The realm of Oblivion is where all the sinners are sent to be punished. Oblivion is a demonic underworld.

GAMEPLAY

The controls to this game are easy. Also, unlike in Morrowind, you actually choose when you block (right click). You also don't have to switch out from your weapon to cast a spell. There are also new attacks. The attacking is more realistic, your character swings his or her arms as if they were using a real sword. You can beat the game through melee combat, ranged combat, stealth, magic, or a mix of all of those. I prefer to be a melee/magic hybrid, myself. Character creation is also great. If you spend enough time, you can make a character that looks dang near close to you. It will take a long time to beat this game, I'm not sure how many hours. It should take hundreds if you plan on doing every side quest for all the guilds. New things are around since Morrowind, such as horses, houses, and a new style for the Mercantile skill.

GRAPHICS

You probably have seen the screenshots. If not, I suggest you take a good look at them. They are awesome. They are the most realistic graphics I've ever seen in any game. You can even tell each individual piece of grass from one another, it doesn't use repeating grass. Unfortunately, if you don't have an up-to-date PC, your computer won't be able to run it well.

SOUND

The sound to this game is good. When you're hit, it actually sounds like armor being struck and things like that. Also, all the NPCs have voice-overs. They have different voices. If you ever played the "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" games, then it's sort of like that. Only, different individual citizens have different voices, unlike KOTOR and KOTOR II. The sounds for casting spells are also great.

REPLAY VALUE

As I mentioned earlier, there are several different character types. You can play with being a goodie-two-shoes doing every quest, like me. Then on another character, you can make a thief that is a menace to society, stealing from random people.

10/10

CONCLUSION

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is my new favorite game. It is worth buying, even if you don't like RPGs that much. Something great about this game is that you don't have to have played Morrowind to understand what's going on, as they are two completely different story lines.

BUY OR RENT?

Definitely buy hands down. There's far too much that you would not be able to get done if you rent. If you rent, you'll probably miss out on most of the stuff. Heck, you probably won't even be able to finish the game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/27/06