Review by SagePent

"A game ruined by the community and test of patience..."

Maple Story is a 2d side-scrolling game. With the general sterotype these days that 2-d games suck, Maple Story is a game that breaks the mold by having a giant population

5/10? You ask why? Well, of course, the gameplay itself is fun, its the grinding that makes it bad. You move around with the arrow keys, attack with the CTRL, use some keys for quick-items/skills, the controls are pretty good. The attacks are very responsive, and the the way you play, is addicting. Now, lets take the grinding to a sub-section. The usual "stat screwing" in MMOs apply here, so no big deal.

Gameplay Part 2: Grinding

This is what brought the whole expierence down. Its easy to level during levels 1-10, that it gives you a good feel about this game.
You get your first job.. get your equipment.. and begin to play. After mabye 2-5 levels, you start getting NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FROM A KILL. ITS SO RIDICULOUS, ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY. The only way to effective grind is to take a sticky note, put it over the exp bar, and start doing math problems in your head as you space out. You need a good patience to even get EXP in this game.

Community: 1/10

Wow. The community is so lame. You got your begger noobs, who beg for mesos and items. You got your scammers, and hackers. The GMs really go after hackers, but they don't do perma bans alot. I gave this a 1 because there are some people that might help you.

Graphics/Sound 8/10

The mini people and nice artwork never ceases to amaze me. Backgrounds are beautifully drawn, and the little spells are pretty nice. The sound doesn't do as much, as its mainly boring chimes. The sound effects for attacks get annoying with the grinding process.

Money Getting: 3/10

You need expensive MP pots, expensive HP pots, and expensive equips. The money you get from defeating monsters don't cut it. You have to market in the awful free market, where it can take up to 2 hours to even sell one little scroll. Now if you have NX cash(which is ridiculously expensive), it'll still be a little bit difficult, as hackers have a hack to overlap your shop comepletly.

Customization: 3/10
You can only do so much with the default styles, and equips. NX cash is costly, and my "dream" outfit would cost me 30 dollars. For only 90 days. For 30 dollars, I would rather buy a console game.

Maple Story is a fun game itself, but the exp rates, money rates, and community just pick it apart.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 09/17/07

Game Release: MapleStory (US, 11/30/05)