Review by Soulofweewee

"Boring, But A Time Killer."

-Intro-
My friend introduced me to Maplestory not too long ago, and I have to say, I am not impressed. Why? Read this review, and you'll find out.

-Graphics, 8/10-
Although the graphics in this game are just 2d cartoon graphics, Wizet obviously put enough effort into it. It has beautiful backgrounds, fun, cute characters, and very new kinds of art styles. This game is clearly anime style, but is ruined by the ridiculously large heads and silly monsters. Could be better, but I give it 8/10 because a lot of hard work was put into it.

-Game play, 4/10-
This is where it got me. Horrible battles, boring magic, and outrageous controls. At first I was having fun, but I got bored in just a few days. This game runs on real-time, and you just need to keep hitting your opponent to defeat him. I liked how there were different styles of fighting, but I got really bored from just fighting monsters and buying armor all the time. However, Maplestory offers fun minigames when you're tired of fighting monsters all the time. I give it a 4/10, a huge letdown.

-Music/Sound, 7/10-
The music in this game is new and interesting. It has different tones, moods, and a variety of them. They set the right mood when you're exploring dungeons and all that. The sound, on the other hand, was very poorly made. For example, when you attack, a small thud comes out of it, but nothing more. There is no character speech throughout the entire game and as a result, towns and explorable areas sometimes feel empty. In the end, this gets 7/10. Better music, horrible sounds.

-Community, 3/10-
I'll just say this right now, I couldn't stand the community. Maplestory is an online game, it's free, in which you can trade with other players and things like that. The game is ruined by players who type words in circles, random swears, insults, and bad grammar. Sometimes you'll come across a group of mature players who enjoy the game together, but that's not likely. This game offers a marriage program in which players are able to marry and play the game together. I, in my opinion thought that was a horrible mistake. I have to give this a 3/10.

Final Recommendations: I suppose if you like these kinds of games where you just fight, I would give it a try. But I wouldn't recommend this. There's nothing "new".

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/08/07

Game Release: MapleStory (US, 11/30/05)