Review by FloppyToast

"An average game and nothing more."

I've played MapleStory before it was serviced by Nexon, and that is a pretty darn long time. I just haven't played alot in some time.

Story? Ha! What story? Why is this game called MapleStory when there is no story to it. You basically make your own character and start on an island called, Maple Island killing snails.

I would have to say the gameplay is slightly above average because they are many different things to offer on this game. The game starts out fun because you are very eager to become one of the "Pros" on this "fun" game. The fact you start out killing snails, you will experience "repetitive" moments. When you're level 1-12ish, you're killing snails for who knows how long you want to kill snails for. The only reason why I give a 6 out of 10 is because there are many rude, immature, and childish people who play this game. They expect to be a "good" player meaning that you understand what the situation is like party-questing. If you're new to the party quest, the community won't even care until they find out that you obviously do not understand a single thing what to do. Even if you ask a question, you will rarely get the answer you're looking for, rather than "NOOB! >:O". As said, practically 3/4 of the community are jerks, and if you play the game for fun, then I would like to say thank you.

They're pretty decent sounds and to this game. Yet, that some songs sound too cheerful and sound like it is for a "fun" children's learning game(Ludibrium*cough*). For the people that agree, I'm glad you understand(somewhat). Anyway, there are sounds for everything you do except for walking, falling, and chatting. Some sounds are pretty unique and many of them are weird.

Controls: 10/10

Controls are quite simple on this game. The fact this game is a 2D-Side Scrolling game, you wont have to worry about controls for movement. The reason I give a 10 is because you are able to customize every button you see on the control setup-layout(except for the screenshot button). Most of all your keys are going to be binded to a skill or Use items(pots and stuff).

Community: 1/10

Like I mentioned, more than 3/4 of the community are complete jerks. The rest are really nice and who just play the game for fun. I thank that 1/4 part of the community.

GMs!: 0/10

GMs? Ha, what GMs? GMs are a myth in this game. I have not seen any GMs roam around ANYWHERE in this game. I only saw that they banned 3 people for hacking in this game in my entire time that I played, and I call that a miracle. I have to honestly say the GMs are very lazy when it comes to "observing" this easy to hack game.

Other Features: No Rating.

The Cash Shop is a nice feature to this game, as well as a manipulation for children on this "Free" game. I have honestly spent $50 for NXCash, sadly. I'm never paying for a "Free" game ever again. Most of the children won't realize how much money they have lost to this game. They might as well put an asterisk(*) saying that "Fee's may apply". The community is very obsessed with NXCash.

The game is quite fair, overall. Although the Cons do overwhelm the Pros. This game is almost a "trap" or "candy" to a child. They will manipulate you(Insert evil laugh here).

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/25/08

Game Release: MapleStory (US, 11/30/05)