Review by politigsuper

"FUN. if you can take it :D"

Are you ready for Snails, Mushrooms, Pigs, and more?

Story: 10/10 or 1/10, depending on how you see it. I would give it a 10/10

It all starts out as a noob on Maple Island. You are just a simple, weak little character. You will be spending your time killing snails, mushrooms, pigs, and a bunch of other cute things. As you level up a few times, you pick a class to play as, Thief, Mage, Warrior, Bowman, and Pirate. After a while, you start fighting things like Gryphons, Windraiders, Hoodoos, and fight bosses like Zakum, Mushmom, Horn Tail, and Papalatus. There really is no story line, imagine just living a virtual life. The only story you really get is when you talk to all the NPCs in the game, and take the time to complete quests you accept. Each town has its own unique story behind it, and all of the cities in the game will be united somehow in some way. By "story", it's more like just telling people why things are the way they are. And it makes sense.

Controls: 10/10

Wow. There is pretty much nothing you can't change. You can customize your entire keyboard layout to fit your needs. You will find you might have to later on in the game where there are more skills available and you need room for more keys to press. The game's defaults work okay, but you probably will want to change them really soon. Everything is fully customizable. No matter where you set your keys, they always have 100% response time and won't mess up the timing on your jumps, attacks, or stuff like that.

The gameplay is either perfect or terrible, it really depends on the player. In this game, it will take you a while to level up. However, when you do, you feel a lot of accomplishment, especially in higher levels. When you level up, you get to distribute your Ability Points (AP) and Skill Points (SP). I suggest you read a guide about how to distribute these, you could end up messing up your character. The game is full of, well, everything. In the earlier levels you will be doing a lot of PQs (party quests) where you form a little party of 2 to 6 people and do various tasks. When I say that the gameplay could be horrible is because you will be repeating a lot of the same things for a long period of time. In earlier levels, you might not even understand what's going on. When you learn the ins and outs of the PQ, you start to see them as WAY more fun. The problem with some players is that they get bored of them too quickly, and then complain how they have nowhere to train. PQing is really fun, it really is. After you run out of PQs to do, you will be training on monsters around the area. A lot of the time, there should only be one place where you SHOULD train. Certain monsters have better HP to EXP ratios, and you should be fighting them for the best EXP. This is good and bad, good because you know where to go and people can help you, bad because everybody will be there. There are 19 different channels over 10 servers, so finding a channel shouldn't be too difficult. The best thing about it is that at least once a month, a patch is done, where new content is being added to the game. This makes the game infinitely large, because it always has new areas, PQs, quests, even classes to add. There's also, of course, items to get, and almost every monster in the game drops at least one unique item. These items are sold to NPCs, which usually means selling ETC items, or to other players, like if you get a piece of equipment someone is looking for, or a scroll or something. The trade system works very nicely.

The game's music is good. Everything fits its location. The music range can appeal to those who like rock (Phantom Forest) or those who are more classical (Orbis or Ellinia) However, listening to the same thing for a while can get repetitive... so you end up muting the sound. It's not a huge problem, you might not notice because you are so busy killing whatever it is you are trying to kill. I usually leave background music on, but occasionally I will listen to my own.

Community: 9/10

For the most part, people are very nice about things. If you ask someone for help, about 8/10 of them will help, if it's a ridiculous request. Don't go around asking for money. That's just wrong. If you are training somewhere and someone comes and starts killing things (known as KSing, or kill stealing) and you ask them to change channels (or cc) then they will. You can put the nice people on your Buddy List so you can talk to them later as well.
Nexon has done a lot of work to prevent hackers from hacking, and I dont see very many now. I'm currently a level 94 Hermit, some people say I'm pro, some say noob. I still think I'm a noob, so I always compete with my Buddies on who can level the most. It's fun to try to get higher leveled faster than your friends, not only does it make you stronger but it is pretty fun to gloat that you are better than them.

Graphics are cute and lovable everywhere. The graphics quality is actually changeable, so if your computer is making you lag, turn down your graphics. Keeping them on highest doesn't really cause problems though. The animations for attacks are also very nice. If an assassin is throwing a throwing star, you can even see what kind of star it is because each one will make a different animation. Character models are also very cute. You can see each piece of armor that they are wearing, even shoes. So cute...

Replay Value: 10/10

You can always take a break and come back later, and be amazed at all the new features that were added since you were gone. This game is also FREE. Which is a big plus. You can choose to pay real money for special items like 4 hours of double the EXP you normally get, 2x drop rate, and mostly cosmetic things that can cover up your armors. Cover up that weird hat with a Transparent Hat, which makes it seem invisible, or maybe a White Beanie, which is actually what I am wearing :D. There are also Events to take part in, like in November, Thanksgiving events being. Turkeys start popping everywhere to kill. Theres also the Maple Anniversary, where monsters start dropping Maple Weapons, which are usually very good and are wanted by many. Everything is new, and it stays new.

Really it depends. I don't mind grinding for EXP. The only thing I would say could be better would be the sound, maybe we could be able to choose what music we want to hear. Play this game. It's pretty dang fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/09

Game Release: MapleStory (US, 11/30/05)