Review by powerstrikingyo

"Let go of my sister..."

Maplestory. That name disturbs me. If Myspace is a place for friends, then Maplestory is just a glorified social site. It's a place for no-lifes, and it's a complete waste of time, although the gameplay isn't that bad at all. First off, the game starts off, and you level up really fast, so it seems like a fun platformer MMO, and it sucks you in... I personally decided to hack to speed up the leveling process (Playing it that way gives it an 8/10), but the GMs were dumb enough not to realize what I was doing, and heartlessly banned me. Nowadays, I'm doing things like this to get them to realize that grinding isn't fun... I wish they'd learn. I'm also REALLY ticked off, because of the fact that it sucked my sister in, and she thinks it's the best thing ever, and it's all she ever does. Now, I'll get to the point.

Gampelay 6/10

The concept/fundamentals weren't that bad actually, they just didn't utilize the potential that it had in order to make a great game. Instead, they wasted the potential and just ruined the entire genre. Still, the fundamentals bring this up to a six because Private Servers run the game right, because Nexon's fundamentals were good. They could've made it better, by adding dashing, higher jumping, and better boss fights. It could have been like Summon Night: Swordcraft Story type action in boss fights.

Sound 2/10

The only good songs that they had were the Crimsonwood and NLC themes. Aside from that, they just FAILED at music altogether.

Graphics 2/10

Everythying's smiling. At least you get to wreck them, but there are still some NPCs I wish I could kill. It's DISGUSTING!!!

Replayability 10/10

I say this because no-lifes keep on coming back to play, much like my sister, who treats everyone like they're her friends in real life, and even seems to care more about them then her real friends. All I can say about this is that No-Lifes=Lots of replayability value!

Other People 3/10

This category is rather streaky, but most of the time they're total jerks. They don't help the new players most of the time, and although people (Like myself), would give money and directions (Even a level 130 account to my friend), most people are just jerks about this. The GMs are people, but they're just dumb as heck! They do good things like once every two months, and outside of that, they just suck.

Story 1/10
There isn't a story. Just a few shallow stories about some NPCs that you couldn't care less about, and that's about it.

That's what I think about Maplestory. Awful gameplay, with awesome fundamentals (They pretty much bring the game up all-around), and an ignorant company.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 06/18/09

Game Release: MapleStory (US, 11/30/05)