Review by bballgogo

"Maplestory, a scary game."

Before I say anything, I'd just like to say, that for a good 4 years, this game took my soul. I couldn't stop playing, buying Nexon cash (spent over $250 on this game!), ignoring other things. And if you like MMORPG's like me, you WILL lose your life too. No questions asked.

I've divided this review into a couple categories that I would normally judge an MMORPG on: Gameplay, sound, story, graphics, controls, community, and customer service.

This game is actually fun. I enjoyed playing it and that was the reason I lost my life to it. Endless replay value, I would say. So much, that there is always something to do, you just have to search for it. Whether it be grinding, party questing, normal questing, money making, or just having fun. It's there.

The sound was good in some parts, but it gets boring. Quickly. I tended to listen to my own music a lot while playing this game because the sound was so repetitive.

It's there, though the questing is so stupid (collect this, kill that, etc.) there is no real point to quest other than the rewards. The story isn't the best either.

Being a 2D side scrolling game, the graphics are pretty good. They obviously aren't the best, but they're very good.

Controls: 10/10
You can customize the controls any way you want. The game has acheived complete controlability (is that even a word?).

Community: 0/10
Yes, the community in this game is hardcore fail. Half the people can't speak English, making it impossible to communicate. The other half is too busy grinding to notice anything. Some people are leeching (taking exp off others). In the free market (where trades occur), most people are either scamming, or merchanting, paying you so little that you can't make any profit. The easiest way to make mesos (the currency of maple) in this game is to buy NX cash. So people do. Some people spend hundreds a MONTH on this game! Overall the community is very bad.

Customer Service: -10/10
This is the ONE THING I hate about Nexon. They don't even know what's going on in their own game. They're just their for the money. The Game Masters are non-existant (except for useless events that just lag people). Hacking sprees go on, they don't even notice. Recently hundreds of people were hacked (as of Friday, January 29, 2010), and Nexon still hasn't paid attention and attempted to fix it. Their autoban system accidently owns plenty of people. Their feedback system (tickets) is run through a bot. Glitchs are there every patch, and you would think they would ATTEMPT TO fix it. They copy the bad code from the other versions of maplestory, though the other versions of maplestory have already recognized the problem and fixed it, and they still get the glitchs. WHAT? Isn't that what the TEST server is for? You would think that for a game where people pay so much, they would at least pay attention. BUT, they don't.

Overall rating: 5/10
The game would have been good if the customer service was ok. But Nexon ignores the problems of the players, which really ruined the game for me, and for many people.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 01/29/10

Game Release: MapleStory (US, 11/30/05)