Review by Genma Agony

"A game that could keep you glued to your seat for a few hours."

Maple Story is a free MMORPG game that some people describe as a "Role-playing Gunbound".

=============
The developers really worked hard to make the game look as good as it looks. The game is set in a colorful 2d world adorned with beautiful sprites. The backgrounds aren't too distracting, which is a good thing. While some of the enemies are basically color-swaps of one another, it doesn't bring the score down.

You can also decorate yourself with equipment and weapons. There is a huge variety of different armors and weapons, which means that aside from the facial features(which the game lacks), it'd be pretty hard to find another who looks just like you.

=============
The controls are easy to get a hold of, but that's because over half of the things they implemented won't be used. I'm an avid player, and I find no use for some of the stuff like the emotion keys. I mean, you'll be spending most of the time training, and just checking your skills, items, and stats.

As for playing the game itself, it can be hard to navigate through-out the worlds. Monsters spawn in the paths to other towns, which means you will get hit by monsters no matter what. This can be extremely confusing when you are low on health, because once you have a class, you will lose EXP. every time you die.

=============
I could barely hear the music in this game. It may be because I hang around Perion, and the background music there is reminiscent of the wind howling very lightly. The monsters have their own sound-effects, so other than my very minor gripe about the background music, everything else is fine.

Replay Value: 9/10
=============
There is so much to do in the game that I can't begin to list. You can play a card game, look for quests, play a game that is sort of like chess, and train. I rest my case.

Overall: 8
=============
The game is worth your time if you need a new game to play. There's just so much to do, so whenever you want to take some time off from training, you can do something else. Download the game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/11/04