Review by Corec

"A seriously fun and cute RPG."

Maple Story is a Korean 2D side-scrolling MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game). It's a cute little RPG that allows you to create a character of your choice and take him/her on an amazing adventure through forests, mountains, caves, and villages. During this adventure, you can become one of four jobs available in the game. The four include a Warrior, Magician, Thief, and Bowman. When you choose the right job for you the adventure starts taking shape as you work on getting stronger and evolving your skills and/or spells. All in all, it's a great game that will last you plenty of time. After all, most Korean RPGs tend to be this way. I recommend this game to anyone who likes PSO and FFXI. It's way different than the two game play wise, but they both share the same concepts through-out the game.

Graphics - (9/10)

Seeing that all Wizet wanted to do with the graphics was make it a small 2D, SNES like game (graphics wise) I think they accomplished that very well. Although I've noticed that the background images are sometimes pixelated even on high detail. Either way, that doesn't take away from how good it looks at all. It gives it kind of a water-color paint effect to it. I don't know if this is what Wizet was going for here, but it does look nice none the less.

Sound/Music: - (10/10)

I haven't noticed any flaws with the sound/music thus far. All the tunes through-out the game are very catchy and I found myself getting drawn into the game even more due to this aspect. The sound is great as well. There is a different sound for almost every spell and action in the game. I thought Wizet did a tremendous job in the sound/music part of the game.

Controls: - (10/10)

The controls are awesome and 95% customizable if you don't like them. Maple Story is one of the few games I've seen recently that gives you that option to change the controls around as much as you want. You have the option to bring up a little keyboard option during the game where each action is set to a key. It lets you swap actions around, assign new actions to some of the buttons not set yet, and many more things. You definitely have the freedom over how you want your controls set in this game.

Story - (8/10)

Well, there isn't much of a story. The story of this game is basically a bunch of quests you can get from people around different towns. This creates a little bit of a story in the game, and it also gives you something to do if you're tired of fighting. Either way, this game focuses more on fighting rather than going around chatting with people.

Game Play - (8/10)

As many of you may or may not know, the US and Global version of Maple Story is still in the beta stages at the moment. So there are a few flaws through-out the game. For example, misspellings, lag due to the fact that all of the servers are still located in Korea, and some features haven't been implemented yet, such as the cash shop. But they'll all come with time.

Replay Value - (N/A)

Well, Maple Story doesn't have a replay value due to the fact that the game never ends. This goes without saying with most MMORPGs.

Worth the Money?

Yes, definitely! The game is FREE, you can download and play it for free at www.mapleglobal.com No need to buy or pay for anything.

That paragraph concludes my review, I hope you have a fun time playing this creative and funny game!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/07/04