Review by LordSphinx

"Splinter Cell: Double Agent, a disappointment to say the least, but none the less, a fun game"

I am a big fan of the Splinter Cell series, and I have played all of the games in the series, and I even own the original, and Chaos Theory, but Double Agent Disappointed me. Out of all of the games, I think that Double Agent had the best story by far, because in the first three games the story was virtually the same, taking down a terrorist group, or a rogue nation, but in Double Agent Sam is actually a part of the terrorist group. This adds in a whole new layer of the story that makes it very interesting. One of the best aspects of the game is the free-roam capability in the JBA HQ missions. In none of the other Splinter Cell games are there any missions where you can complete missions in whatever order you please. Finding all of the profile information can be a bit tedious, but all in all, the JBA HQ missions are a big plus for the game.

Moving on to the bad things about the game we come to glitches. I played the entire game without any patches, and I will therefore be commenting upon my experience thusly. Throughout the entire game, I had about 8 Crash to Desktops (CTD), which are very irritating, and sometimes they cause the player to lose progress made since a save. Also the fact that you can't choose a quick save to load while in the game makes everything much more wearisome. If you quick save right before being shot by an enemy, then you have to load from a regular save game, and if you don't have one, then you can restart the game, and load from one of your previous quick-saves. There are so many glitches in the game I won't even bother to mention them all, but often the seams between walls, or clothing on a NPC or even Sam are not joined correctly allowing light to come through making the playing experience a less engulfing, one. One of the most annoying parts of the game is when you have to place detonators in mines for the terrorists. For some reason, the developers of the game thought that putting a mini-game about placing detonators in mines would be fun, but it isn't. There are numerous other mini-games that are quite as bad, but I wish they had thought them out better.

I would have to say I don't think that Ubisoft Shanghai is as strong of a developer as Ubisoft Montreal is. Montreal developed the original Splinter cell, and Chaos Theory while Shanghai developed Pandora tomorrow, and Double Agent, neither of which I enjoyed a great deal. Thankfully Shanghai is developing the fifth installment of the Splinter Cell series, Conviction which I hope will be better than Double Agent.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/19/06