Review by hiniwthw

"Issues? Yes. Playability? Yes."

IGunz... well, there's a complicated game. Not really in game play, it's rather straightforward, since there's not even a hint of role playing in this game. However, it's not a bad game, either, and its major appeal is the fact that it's got no monthly cost, no subscription fee, no money involved at all, if you don't want it to be.

Here's how the game works, on the basic level: You go out into the field, and fight against other gun fighters. As you kill people, you gain experience and "bounty", which is used as cash. With this bounty, you can buy better stuff. With experience, you can... be level two instead of level one. Make no mistake, this is not World of Warcraft. Being a higher level gives you two things: More item availability, and bragging rights. You get no more hit points, no more armor points, nothing else.

To appease those looking for the problems, here are a few that I have noticed. First, there's absolutely no character customization. Oh, sure, you can wear this ring instead of that one, or you carry these guns instead of those, but that's about it. You can't do any more damage with revolvers than someone with the same revolvers, and that's a major issue. There's no where to go at the top, no "I'm the best revolver user, but I am humbled in your SMG usage." None.

In addition to this, everyone looks the same. As you progress, you will notice people wearing the same stuff as you, because it's the best stuff your money can buy. This causes many people to look like clones, and it's very disconcerting to see everyone on a differing team to be decked out in the exact same dress.

Next, you can't do one of the key features of many multiplayer online shooters - duck. There is no function to duck, and because of this, so many vantage points and terrain features are lost.

However, the game is not without good features as well. For instance, the game is entirely free, as I've previously stated. However, they're coming out with "premium items", which will not be for the casual gamer. If you wish to possess a premium item, you'll have to invest in the game. You don't have to, but if previous games are any indication, the premium item users will be vastly superior to the casual gamer.

Also, to spruce the game up from the monotony of hunting and killing, there'll be a Quest Mode!! I have no idea what will come of this mode of game play, but from the pictures I've seen, it looks like the monotony of hunting and killing other people changes to the ingenuity of hunting and killing NPC's!

This is a simple, action-packed shoot-out game, with limited customization, limited game play, and limited advancement. Because of all the limitations, I'm giving it a six... out of ten.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 08/19/05