Review by VulpineHero

"Lived up to the hype, it really is that bad."

Notice: This review is based on the demo version of the game because I would never willingly pay for the full version. Furthermore, this review is based entirely on the game's merits - not its morals.

The graphics of Left Behind: Eternal Forces are truly terrible. I really wish I could get by with just saying that instead of having to bestow upon you, the reader, what a nightmare it was to behold this game. Buildings in New York are essentially boxes with pictures on them. The only thing that breaks up the bland grayish and blurry monotony are the promotional advertisements plastered everywhere in the game. The game also suffers from extreme slowdown if the camera becomes wedged on top of one of the many large and obstructive buildings, or when your screen becomes filled with gray smoke particle effects while renovating a building. And occasionally, the game slows down for no real reason at all.

The size difference between your units and the buildings is enormous, requiring you to zoom in and out repeatedly depending on the kinds of interaction you are trying to do. The only saving grace is that character models are at least passing, but not much to speak about.

The background music tracks in the game are fairly average, but it's the misplaced sounds and uninspired voices that drag this score down. What does a short musical theme have to do with my Friend turning into a Medic? At least a "Training finished" message would at least give me a vague idea of what just happened.

The units' vocal lines that are spoken when selected or ordered are very bland. Every unit has a handful of lines that pertain to their jobs, but they all end up sound like broken records.

This game takes Real-Time Strategy to lows I wasn't even aware truly existed. I once thought games this bad were the stuff of myth and chatroom tall tales. Essentially, the gameplay involves trying to convert everyone else to your side (by moving their faith either up or down, depending on what side you're playing). The game stresses finding non-lethal methods to deal with opponents, rather than shooting them, even though that is possible.

You are only given a handful of different units (Disciples, Musicians, Medics, Soldiers, Builders) to build your "army" with. When you select a group of units, only the most powerful unit in the group can be directly commanded, and this is usually a Soldier or Disciple. So in order to command your Musicians or Medics, you have to either de-select all your troops and then select them individually, or create tons of subgroups. And for some strange reason, female units are only allowed to become Disciples, Musicians, and Medics, while males can be any job.

The camera controls are horrendous. Zooming works on a tilting slope rather than directly in/out, and rotating falls somewhere between useless and necessary thanks to the gigantic buildings. The camera has a tendency to get obstructed by enormous buildings (thanks to the camera tilting upwards when zoomed in).

Game developers seem to think they can slap a "Christian" label on a crappy game and expect it to sell. But there are many titles out there that don't sacrifice quality for "good themes".

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/07