Question from Jstarr98

Can a wizard use swods or axes in Diablo 3?

As a wizard I can pick up an axe or carry a sword and shield but I would like to know is can a wizard use these weapons because every time I use the attack button on my mouse i just through missiles or some other spell weapons.
So Can a wizard fight with conventional weapons?

Wizards can use all one-handed axes, swords, spears, daggers, maces and wands. For two-handers they can use staffs (staves?), two-handed axes, bows, crossbows, two-handed maces and two-handed swords.

Being a wizard myself, I asked a friend of mine who's gotten really far in the game to explain this. As stated by Gapicorn, there's a variety of weapons you can equip as a Wizard. The game will still show you using spells no matter what the item, but the bonuses of the equipped weapons are applied to your wizard skills, so you don't actually use the sword.

My Wizard has a socketed sword that practically tripled the damage I was doing when I had a simple staff equipped. The item you equip will not affect how the character's attack animation is played out, but you'll get the bonuses that go with it.

In a nutshell, if you have the ability to equip a certain item as a wizard, you'll get the appropriate stat boosts.