Review by miyaa999

"Diablo III reminds me more like Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 than Diablo 1 and 2."

From what I've played, and watched others play, one thing seems to come to mind for me: Diablo 3 reminds me more like Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 than Diablo 1 and 2. And why not? Much of what made Dungeon Siege to being a really good game from the late 90's and early 2000's is what makes up Diablo 3. The clear mix and match of character's abilities, items, collecting sets of items, and somewhat randomness of the AI makes it seem interesting.

However, it seems to me that the problems that Diablo III has (when you get over the early server issues) is that Diablo III doesn't seem much better than Dungeon Siege 1 or 2 was. And certainly it doesn't have the panache than the early Diablo I and II does. The plot is straight forward: you start out trying to figure out who was that stranger that fell from the sky and before you know it, you're going through strange lands and hell to defeat all sorts of demons up to, yes, again, Diablo himself (kind of obvious with a title like "Diablo"). Your character has the choice of five class options: Wizards, Monk, Barbarian, Witch Doctor and Demon Hunter. And like the real and spiritual processors before this one, you can run through four different levels based on your level until you reach 60. Supposedly, Blizzard will add DLC to add level increases and more classes to choose from.

The common complaint about Diablo III is that it is far too short, and not the long, lengthy quest that Diablo II was. But, it also had two additions that you could purchase and from what I understand the longevity of Diablo II stems from the PVP (that will be ready in yet another DLC addition) and how players went with the unbalanced nature of the classes. And I agree, it seems to be rather short, but again, that seems to be more in line with the Dungeon Siege series where players didn't want or had that much time to spend on a game. And considring how long it has been since a sequel was planned, I think more should have been made available at the start than it is as it stands.

There are other problems as well, however. While the voice acting is superb and the cut scene movies are of very high quality, I found the game to be rather static at times. I also found that depending of class selection, it's going to be easy to be a fighter at first, but you should play a magic user towards the higher tiered levels of hell and inferno. Much like Dungeon Siege (1, 2, and 3), the plot just gets in the way and maybe Blizzard should have spent more time on creating more challenging levels and less on the wonderful movies and voice acting.

The last thing that I found wrong is the new option of paying actual money to get items, character slots or even character levels. I suppose it's a way to nip purchasing characters from eBay, but I really can't see it being used much for a non-MMORPG game, unless that's what Blizzard envisions what will come of Diablo III. It's about as pointless as having to login online first before pulling your game off-line for a single-player session. Oh, yeah, that DRM feature is in there too.

I'm not saying Diablo III isn't a bad game. It's pretty good, but it's not something you should get yourself into from the first week. It might be better, like a MMORPG game to wait until a few months and a DLC or two has been offered.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 05/17/12

Game Release: Diablo III (US, 05/15/12)